and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Motel pay phone & more offered

Started by Pourme, November 04, 2020, 06:07:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pourme

~

A seller has offered this phone to me for $30.00

I have seen a couple here but am not familiar with them. No keys.

What is the worth, are they a desired piece?

He has more pieces, I will post in another entry.
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Pourme

~

This is a pile I haven't seen yet, does anyone spot anything of interest?

He is an hour and half from me.
Benny

Pourme

~

He also has a white SC 1543? bottom right, just like I bought last week on ESTY for $64.00. He wants $20.00 for it. The rest are of no interest to me. I think the pink one is a newer push button that looks like a rotary.
Benny

Jim Stettler

The most desirable of the table top payphones are metal dial sets w/3 coin slots. The rest really have no value to most collectors.

Wood phones have a low value. I would only buy them if you want one. Wood phones take up a lot of storage space. The resell is typically low. There may be some good stuff in the boxes, but you have to decide if they are worth your time, trouble and storage.

The common plastic phones are common  plastic phones worth around $5.00 each if you don't really want them.
I would only drive 1-1/2 hours if he has something that you really like for a fair to low price.
JMO,
Jim

I used to buy collections like this for 1 money. Now I would rather pick the items I am interested in and leave the rest.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Pourme

~

Thanks, Jim. You are verifying my initial thoughts. 
Benny

Key2871

Thirty years ago, I bought a NIB payphone deal like in your first picture.
Got it cheap, in a yard sale, thought it was cool, but it wasnt anything like a actually thought so I sold it on ebay.
In my opinion just leave those where they are, even if they are free.
And the lock, was just so you could switch from differant dialing options.
Cant believe people actually bought those phones.
KEN

Jim Stettler

Here is a photo of a Kellogg 3 slot desktop payphone.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-ITT-Kellogg-3-coin-Pay-Phone-As-Is-Condition/154207387617
The metal housing is made in Japan.
I thought my set was in poor condition, It looks a lot better than this one. You can see there are 3 slots for coins.
If you come across a NIB example of this phone, I think the value is still pretty low among collectors , but they are nicer than the plastic TT models.
Mine is the  with a black dial and broken lockbox.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Doug Rose

Quote from: Jim Stettler on November 24, 2020, 01:19:31 PM
Here is a photo of a Kellogg 3 slot desktop payphone.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-ITT-Kellogg-3-coin-Pay-Phone-As-Is-Condition/154207387617
The metal housing is made in Japan.
I thought my set was in poor condition, It looks a lot better than this one. You can see there are 3 slots for coins.
If you come across a NIB example of this phone, I think the value is still pretty low among collectors , but they are nicer than the plastic TT models.
Mine is the  with a black dial and broken lockbox.
Jim
Jim...one of my favorite phones, made in Japan as you said. I got mine at Brimfield...one of my luckier finds....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

~

Jim, Thanks for the follow up and the picture. Never see cool phones like that in the "wild" around here.

No that's the red sexy version of motel phones, Doug!

I passed on the one in the OP. I'll wait for the next phone, around the corner....
Benny