News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Kellogg Ashtray Phone

Started by Doug Rose, November 14, 2020, 08:33:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I saw this on eBay last week, and went past it. Went back an hour later, surprisingly it was still there and bought it for parts. I figured for sure it had to cracked or chipped. Pics I could not tell, so I took a gamble.

My man, USPS Bill delivered it early this morning and I just opened it. Cords are attached but too brittle to use.

I have looked and looked at it and I do not see any damage. Not out of the woods as sometimes they "appear" when cleaning.

For $32 Delivered, this was a steal. Another cup of coffee and I will head to the Dungeon....Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Telephone-Bakelite-Base-Handset-for-Parts-Kellogg-Switchboard-Ashtray/353268739796

?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Kidphone

Pourme

Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

thanks Benny....the cords were brittle and breaking and had to be scrapped. If you have ever worked on one of these you know you have to take the phone apart just to get the cords out. It was a pain.

Cleaned the Bakelite with medium steel wool and Brasso. Removed the Brasso and went over it again with fine steel wool and Avon SSS. NO chips or cracks found!

Replaced the handset cord, everything else is original.

Lady I won this from said it came form an Airport

New message from: froggiesgreatstuff (4,172Red Star)
I got it at an auction. It's from an old airport

Can't imagine she made much if she got this at an auction and sold it for $16.50

This is one cool set....Doug
Kidphone

Pourme

~

A survivor ashtray......

A rare bread, given how thin the Bakelite has to be to carry off that slick "sexy" design! 

Mine is one of my favorite phones, beautiful but has a crack in the back.

Another nice piece, Doug!

~
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

Doug Rose

Its a beauty Benny. There is no other phone like it. Not even close...Doug
Kidphone

oldguy

Beautiful job Doug & an outstanding deal.
Gary

oldguy

Gary

Doug Rose

Quote from: oldguy on November 15, 2020, 07:12:52 PM
Beautiful job Doug & an outstanding deal.
thanks Gary...always a pleasure my friend
Kidphone

tubaman

Very nice - how did you get the card holder looking so good as it appears really rusty in the auction photos?
:)

Doug Rose

Tubaman....oh it was rusty. Wire Brush on a drill, followed by medium sandpaper. Back to wire brush on a drill with Brasso.

Celluloid was also very yellowed, still no perfect but Brasso made a big difference.

The wire brush on a drill when it catches you knuckles is a joy....NOT  >:( ....Doug
Kidphone