News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help with a Kellogg Subset

Started by Doug Rose, December 04, 2020, 10:08:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

This looks a lot like a WE 334A, but it latches on the top. Very cool with exposed gongs on the top.

I am trying to get it to ring but I am have trouble finding L1. L2 is there but no L1. Any ideas?....many thanks....Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

To just get it to ring you need the capacitor in series with the bell coils. ie L1 > Cap 1, and then Cap2 > Coil 1, and Coil 2 > L2. If that makes sense.
:)

Doug Rose

It does make sense, I just cannot find L1
Kidphone

tubaman

Quote from: Doug Rose on December 04, 2020, 10:44:36 AM
It does make sense, I just cannot find L1

It should be on the side of the capacitor that isn't connected to the coils.

Doug Rose

I must be missing something....Doug
Kidphone

tubaman

Can't see where the wires go in the photos, but one wire from the capacitor at the bottom should go to one of the connection points (L1 or L2) - it might go via an induction coil connection.
The other side of the capacitor should go the one side of the bell coils - again maybe via the induction coil.
The other side of the coils should go to a connection point (L2 or L1).

This all assumes no one else has messed with the wiring in the past (a big assumption).
I think it's time to get out your multimeter.

stub

Doug,
          Here's all I could find . stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

tubaman

Believe your subset should be wired as per this diagram. The bell will be connected to L1 and C.

Doug Rose

thanks guys...I will give it a shot....Doug
Kidphone

RB

Try this ;)

Doug Rose

Quote from: tubaman on December 04, 2020, 11:50:11 AM
Believe your subset should be wired as per this diagram. The bell will be connected to L1 and C.
We have success off of Tubaman's idea as I do not have everything that this schematic has.

I did Connect L1 (found it) and C to Bell and the clapper moved, but nothing. This must be a frequency ringer.

I took the Gong assembly apart and moved the posts closer to the clapper and with some adjustments it rings pleasantly. Now I have to get the screws back in the posts as they are now not aligned properly.

I am close, thanks to all for their help and opinions....Doug
Kidphone

dsk

I guess you are right about that ringer. I do not believe they used a spring instead of a hinged hammer on straight line ringers before th 500 type ringers became standard. I'm sure somebody her knows, so we not have to only guess   :)

You are always getting your phones looking almost like new! 

Doug Rose

Quote from: dsk on December 05, 2020, 01:17:49 AM
I guess you are right about that ringer. I do not believe they used a spring instead of a hinged hammer on straight line ringers before th 500 type ringers became standard. I'm sure somebody her knows, so we not have to only guess   :)

You are always getting your phones looking almost like new! 
thanks Dag...I do appreciate it.....Doug
Kidphone

HowardPgh

The ringer pictured is a frequency ringer. Kellogg straight  line ringers look almost like WE ringers with a central pivot point and bias spring.  I think you can use that subset with a sidetone WE stick.
Howard

Doug Rose

Howard....it is a frequency ringer, but I was able to move the posts to get a very pleasant ring...Doug

"I did Connect L1 (found it) and C to Bell and the clapper moved, but nothing. This must be a frequency ringer."
Kidphone