News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Western Electric GN4676 Subset Cover

Started by Doug Rose, December 19, 2020, 02:47:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Has anyone (Ray) ever made a Western Electric GN4676 cover. From Russ's pics, the inside looks similar to a WE 684 subset.

I went over Ray's list recently on the TCI List, of what he has made and did not see this on his list.

I would buy one, in a heart beat.....Doug
Kidphone

Russ Kirk

Yes, it was made from a 684.  The 684 was painted over, it can be seen if the lighting is just right. 
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

kleenax

Quote from: Russ Kirk on January 21, 2021, 06:16:41 PM
Yes, it was made from a 684.  The 684 was painted over, it can be seen if the lighting is just right. 
Yes, other than the "new" vermillion-colored number stamp, it is indeed mounted on a "plain-ole" 684 subset.

And, yes I have an original cover on my workbench, and am just about finished with making a single-cavity mold. I will eventually sell them (yes they will be marked with my name), but they won't be cheap because I really don't want to drastically detract intrinsic value of the originals.
Ray Kotke
Recumbent Casting, LLC

Doug Rose

Quote from: kleenax on January 21, 2021, 06:49:58 PM
Yes, other than the "new" vermillion-colored number stamp, it is indeed mounted on a "plain-ole" 684 subset.

And, yes I have an original cover on my workbench, and am just about finished with making a single-cavity mold. I will eventually sell them (yes they will be marked with my name), but they won't be cheap because I really don't want to drastically detract intrinsic value of the originals.
Ray....are you close to finishing the mold for the GN4676 yet? I am in line waiting   ;D....many thanks...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

For those of us not familiar with these, could someone please explain the differences between the two, and why a GN4676 cover (?) might be more desirable compared to a WE 684 subset?

Anyone got any front on photos for comparison?

Thanks.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

Doug Rose

CJ ....this is the GN4676 Cover, it mounts on the 684 subset, but it attaches a 202 base. Very short lived as a metal 202 was too heavy for a Bakelite or plastic subset cover.

Second pic is Russ Kirk's GN4676 Next to his AE #2...Doug
Kidphone

FABphones

I see now, thanks, the photos helped a lot. Part number GN4676 wasn't familiar to me, and didn't recognise what we were looking at from the inner images.

Very nice phones Russ.  :)

paul-f

Quote from: FABphones on July 12, 2021, 05:34:55 PM
I see now, thanks, the photos helped a lot. Part number GN4676 wasn't familiar to me, and didn't recognise what we were looking at from the inner images.

A forum search for GN4676 produces several good discussions and photos of sets -- some even in colors.

A good place to start is: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=24630.msg244474#msg244474
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

FABphones

Quote from: paul-f on July 12, 2021, 10:59:05 PM
A forum search for GN4676 produces several good discussions and photos of sets -- some even in colors....

Thanks for the reminder to use the search facility!  Always useful.

I remember that discussion, but didn't connect that thread or images with this one. Adding that link to this thread is a good idea.

A couple of colour examples below, from this thread:
http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=7103.msg80142#msg80142

:)