Telephone Talk > Telephone Historic Pictures, Signs, Directories, Advertising & Ephemera

Early 60's Local Telephone Books

(1/1)

allnumbedup:
I saw these three local phone books from 1961,1962, and 1965 at a local Antique Mall. Each is 1/2 inch thick. I thought it was noteworthy that the colors of the 500 handsets they use for the pictures look light gray.  Maybe promoting a new and unusual color or maybe the printers took some liberties with the WE color palate---and also one depicting an early cordless model.. ;)? Also, thumbing through them I forgot how "the phone book" always had a cover page of blank lines for 'often called numbers'

Jim Stettler:

--- Quote from: allnumbedup on August 03, 2021, 06:00:43 PM ---I saw these three local phone books from 1961,1962, and 1965 at a local Antique Mall. Each is 1/2 inch thick. I thought it was noteworthy that the colors of the 500 handsets they use for the pictures look light gray. 

--- End quote ---
My guess is it was the cheapest 'real' color to print with the current technology .
This was printed with standard offset lithography practices. They didn't clean the press between runs, but  added changes to the ink color.
The light gray is a keeper,
Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version