"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Help Needed installing military type dial in SC-1243

Started by RotoTech99, September 15, 2021, 11:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RotoTech99

Dear Forum:

I have a SC 1243 that was converted with a modern network (not by me) that I'm putting a military type AE Clone dial with the usual shunt contacts that open when the dial comes to rest, plus two contacts that make when the dial comes to rest.

I'm using the AE dial lead colors; red,yellow, blue, and white.  I need to know if they are on the right dial terminals, so I'm including 2 pics.

I would appreciate please some help determining if I have the connections right on the dial itself.

I'd be happy to thank anyone who replies.
NOTE: As this phone was already partly converted, I just want to finish it up and have a and have a functional phone.

dsk

Nothing will go wrong if you mix the wires, but the diagram says that you should connect like this:
dsk

RotoTech99

Dear Forum & dak

In regard to my original post, I'm using the dial lead colors that were used with AE Type 80 dials and Type 51 dials.

The dial I'm using (an AE Clone) has 3 shunt contacts that open (break) when the dial stops after winding down, and 2 extra contacts that close (make) when the dial stops.

My question is should I simply connect the white and red wires to the shunt terminals and DISREGARD the the 2 contacts that close (make) and treat it as a regular AE dial?

That's what I need to know, please.

The phone I'm using it with is a SC1243 which was converted to a modern network before I received it; I have the wiring info I need; I just need to confirm what I asked I
this reply, please.

RotoTech99

dsk

Sorry I did musunderstand. 
If you have an AE network the 2 last NC contacts are not needed. They are only for WE that disconnects the receiver, not shorting it.
The yellow and blu must not be mixedm but the white and red are less imortant.

dsk

RotoTech99

Dear dsk:

My SC1243 is using a ITT pc type network, so it's similar to the WE network...

I moved the white and red leads to the NC contacts, is that where those 2 leads should be to work with the ITT network?

BTW: Thank you for the replies, they refreshed my memory.

RotoTech99

dsk

The most important is the pulse contacts, when they are left open, you are in a off hook position seen from the exchange.  The other wires is for shorting out the voice circuit so you do not get loud clicks in the ear, and usually to reduce risk of high currents trough the carbon transmitter.

The way to find out (on non WE phones); if you had e.g. 4 black wires, the tree that might be connected together without going on hook is the ones tat should not be Yellow.  Then it is imprtant to find wich single wire that will give you full speak listen service when connected to the first (Y ) wire.  (dialling out now will work, but give loud clicks for each pulse) The 2 others should be on the 2 next terminals, if you get a loud click when the dial stops, try to change the 2 last wires.

This is good to know when somone before you hav changed something.

dsk
dsk

RotoTech99

Dear dsk:

Since the ITT network in my SC 1243 is virtually a WE clone connections wise, I think that last change should do what I'm needing; Frankly, I'm more used to putting an AE 51 dial in a WE 302 or an AE set... I've put AE51 dials in SC1243 & SC 1212 sets before, but putting in the AE Clone military dial into a SC set with or without the original SC network takes some research, particularly because of the SC original dial lead colors which may get changed if you don't have leads in the SC color designations.

The SC1243 Is a "horse of another color" because of a number of things, but probably the most tricky ones is their original internals are difficult to find, and converting is often the most cost effective way to keep a close to original phone.

RotoTech99

Dear Dsk:

Hello, your suggestion worked out...

I also found out that if I remove the jumper strap between the pulse and shunt terminal it normally goes on, you get the silence and no feedback like loud click feedback when using the AE Clone dial with ITT, SC, or  WE modern networks.

RotoTech99

dsk

Nice to be able to help. and tat experiment with removing the strap made it even better could be a hint for many of us to test when the lout click appears.

dsk