News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

German SA28 refurb

Started by countryman, January 28, 2022, 11:29:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryman

The correct way would have been sanding the whole piece to bare metal, then use filler, sand again, repeat until 100% smooth and then paint.
I skipped the filler and the second sanding here and just applied 2 layers of spray paint after initial sanding. Looking closely you can still see where it had rust pitting. The aluminium top part came out relatively good though.
I meanwhile learned that the brand of capacitor (Frolyt, see picture) only appeared after 1947. So it is obvious that the phone was refurbished after that year, possibly by Deutsche Post (of East Germany). That would also explain the mismatched fingerstop/fingerwheel combo. On the other hand, I could identify the glued in diagram as DTW, while the handset is also DTW. So it's not a complete mix of parts, and as well the dial (early 1931) matches with the year of the shell (1930)
The phone looks like an official Post version, which (according to the literature) came with a black fingerwheel while the private version had nickel (besides some other small differences).
Due to post war shortages, W28 were refurbished and completed with existing material in both parts of Germany for a while.