News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Removing an ADCO booth from wall

Started by AlexHorse, June 22, 2022, 07:43:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexHorse

So I found a person who is going to sell me one of these ADCO phone booths but I wanted to check and see if anyone could help me figure out how they're attached to the wall. It's in a building that's for sale and the owner said he isn't sure how to remove it which is why it's still hanging up. I'd just like to get an idea of how to get it down so when I go to get it I can be in and out quickly and easily without causing damage to the wall.
Thanks

FABphones

Photos of the actual booth, from various angles, would help us better understand how it was originally installed, and to what.

If you don't have access, can your guy forward you any photos.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

AlexHorse

I might be able to drive by and snap a pic of them through the window. It's basically a vacant building right now that's for sale. But if I remember right they're attached to a wall that's covered in wood paneling. I wasn't sure if there was a panel or something that you could remove that was hiding screws or something that was holding it to the wall.

MMikeJBenN27

Quote from: AlexHorse on June 22, 2022, 07:43:16 AMSo I found a person who is going to sell me one of these ADCO phone booths...
Grab it, and put a nice 3-slot in it.

Mike

ChrisW6ATV

Quote from: AlexHorse on June 22, 2022, 09:27:01 AMI wasn't sure if there was a panel or something that you could remove that was hiding screws or something that was holding it to the wall.
This is what I would expect, yes. One or more decorative-type panels or trim with somewhat hidden fasteners, covering the big bolts or other hardware that attaches it to the building. The fasteners for the trim may have security-type heads, but you can get a set of security bits at Harbor Freight stores among other locations.

AlexHorse

Didn't see these replies till now but I did grab the booth. Owner kind of beat up the trim trying to take it apart but I was able to bend it all back. Turns out it's just two security screws to take the panel behind the phone out. Then two or three larger screws and the when thing lifts up and off the wall bracket.Then since it was apart I pressure washed all the stainless parts, replaced the insulation (the r6.5 fiberglass gap sealer rolls home Depot sells are a perfect fit) painted the plastic telephone insert (was yellowed and a bit burned from decades of being in a smokey bowling alley) and now have it hanging in my basement

AlexHorse

Now I just need to find one of those binders that held the phone book and I'll be all set!

Stormcrash

It looks great! Glad you were able to get it off and cleaned up like that

And I really love the Alltel sign above it. Don't see too much Alltel stuff popping up sadly

AlexHorse

Quote from: Stormcrash on October 21, 2022, 01:10:01 PMIt looks great! Glad you were able to get it off and cleaned up like that

And I really love the Alltel sign above it. Don't see too much Alltel stuff popping up sadly
Thanks! I'm surprised it cleaned up so well considering how it looked when I found it lol

Glad you like the Alltel sign too! Found it at an antique store outside of town. We didn't have them for our phone service back in the day but I remember them being the ones who ran the phones near the town I found it at. Mostly remember seeing the signs and logo on the payphones when we would visit the zoo as a kid.

Stormcrash

Lucky finds for both of those for sure!

Alltel was our phone comapny growing up, they had a decent sized but not huge pocket of service area in upstate NY. There is a small hut near the entrance to our neighborhood that had their logo on it even, though we lived right near the edge of NYNEX territory, so I have a soft spot for them and that logo. Sadly most stuff that shows up online is from the later Alltel Wireless era or their NASCAR sponsership

FABphones

Very nice. One of the lesser discussed variations. Looks good.
Was the phone still in the booth too?

Quote...It's basically a vacant building right now that's for sale. But if I remember right they're attached to a wall...

What happened to the others (how many were there)? Any chance of saving them to move on into other collections?

:)

A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

AlexHorse

Quote from: FABphones on October 22, 2022, 03:16:44 AMVery nice. One of the lesser discussed variations. Looks good.
Was the phone still in the booth too?

What happened to the others (how many were there)? Any chance of saving them to move on into other collections?

:)

The phone I bought from someone else a while back. That guy got it from a family member who worked for Northwestern Bell through when it was Qwest and then left when Qwest told them they'd have to move to Colorado. Guess he said the phone was modded by Qwest to work in a home and all refurbished and aside from a missing coin relay and coin box it's in really nice shape inside and out.

As far as the booths there is one more that faces the opposite direction but I doubt the owner will want to come out and let me get the other one since he wasn't too excited about me getting the first one. Guy complained the whole time and eventually was just trying to take it down as fast as possible. Do keep checking though to see when the place gets sold and contact those new owners though since I know they have no use for it.

Westrex

Quote from: AlexHorse on October 21, 2022, 12:34:33 PMNow I just need to find one of those binders that held the phone book and I'll be all set!

I believe I saw an ADCO enclosure in a rest stop in Ohio. Looked exactly like that, except it may have been black instead of woodgrain.
Check out the site below for helpful information about Automatic Electric phones.

http://kwan-nick.neocities.org/AE2.html