News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

EARLY 1900s LEEDS & NORTHRUP CO. 226991 THREE DIAL TELEPHONE CO. TEST BOX?

Started by Doug Rose, September 06, 2022, 08:12:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

I was looking at this and decided against it. I went back on eBay with less than a minute to go and there is was so I bought it. I have no idea why except it is cool looking and I like the wood and Bakelite knobs.

I have no idea what it does/did.

Any help is greatly appreciated...Doug

https://www.ebay.com/itm/284948589568?

Kidphone

tubaman

It's a nice old thing.
Looks like a resistance box to me, with the knobs selecting hundreds, tens, and units of ohms.
Could well have been used in some telephone related testing capacity but it could also be used in many other places.

paul-f

Quote from: tubaman on September 06, 2022, 08:33:19 AMIt's a nice old thing.
Looks like a resistance box to me, with the knobs selecting hundreds, tens, and units of ohms.
Could well have been used in some telephone related testing capacity but it could also be used in many other places.
AKA a decade box.

An internet search for "leeds and northrup decade box images" will show some of the many variations out there and general info such as:

https://xdevs.com/review/ln4754/

I share your interest in items in wood boxes with knobs and switches. It occurs to me that you may want to add this cousin to your collection. It's a bridge for isolating cable faults. PM if interested.

Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Doug Rose

Quote from: paul-f on September 06, 2022, 08:50:04 AMAKA a decade box.

I share your interest in items in wood boxes with knobs and switches. It occurs to me that you may want to add this cousin to your collection. It's a bridge for isolating cable faults. PM if interested.

thanks Paul BUT I have no idea where I am going to put this! They are very cool...Doug
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I received it today, much smaller than I thought 9" across, 4" f to b 3" high.

Under the remnants of the sticker the wood is a bit pitted but over all I am very happy with it.

MR Clean pad followed by a wipe down with Pledge....Doug
Kidphone

Doug thats a great find and a nice looking resistance box.
If you have a old Audels 'Handy book of Practical Electricity' they refer to a few Leeds and Northrup in chapter 17 'tests' but more like the box Paul posted.
I could post some pics of the pages if your interested.
Cheers
--Stephen

Doug Rose

Quote from: 5415551212 on September 09, 2022, 09:44:41 PMDoug thats a great find and a nice looking resistance box.
I could post some pics of the pages if your interested.
Cheers
--Stephen
thanks Stephen.....that would be great....Doug
Kidphone

Here is where they talk about the Murry loop test, this is from Audels Handy Book of Practical Electricity, I think this is 1946 edition. These old books are pretty easy to find and have great chapters on old telephone systems, I highly recommend them. Its not the best photo but gets you the idea. I could try to scan the page but the book is so thick it might not be any better.

RDPipes

Quote from: 5415551212 on September 10, 2022, 02:11:58 PMHere is where they talk about the Murry loop test, this is from Audels Handy Book of Practical Electricity, I think this is 1946 edition...

What page is that on, can't seem to find it in my 1942 edition.
Don't know if the page number will help being different editions but, they haven't changed much in  a few years I don't think.

That was on page 348, look in chapter 17 titled 'Tests' there are more diagrams of wheat stone bridges starting on page 346.

RDPipes

Quote from: 5415551212 on September 10, 2022, 04:57:59 PMThat was on page 348, look in chapter 17 titled 'Tests' there are more diagrams of wheat stone bridges starting on page 346.
There must be a big difference between my 42 edition and your 46 because mine doesn't have Chapters numbered and the page numbers don't match. My page numbers run 349-3709, 3710-350, 351-3711 and so on for each page.
I did find it though on page 261-3621 and 3622-262.
But you are right about them being great informational books even though their out of date.
I have several complete volumes of them on different subjects.