News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Some questions about an W.E 510 A/B Home Interphone

Started by Dan/Panther, June 06, 2010, 01:52:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Two questions and one observation about a recent phone I won on Ebay. It's an W.E. 510 A/B.
First the screws that mount the switch for LI and L2 are tight, yet the switch floats a little. Is this on purpose for ease of alignment to the case ?
Second, The line cord is a standard 4 wire cord, that appears to be original, Yet Only one line will work, how do you get the second line to work, or is that where the PBX comes in ?

The observation is that the Line 1, and Line 2 markings are printed onto a clear insert just like the plastic dial inserts  for open center dials. Just thought everyone might like to see.

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

paul-f

Quote from: Dan/Panther on June 06, 2010, 01:52:20 PM
Two questions and one observation about a recent phone I won on Ebay. It's an W.E. 510 A/B.
First the screws that mount the switch for LI and L2 are tight, yet the switch floats a little. Is this on purpose for ease of alignment to the case ?

Yes.

Second, The line cord is a standard 4 wire cord, that appears to be original, Yet Only one line will work, how do you get the second line to work, or is that where the PBX comes in ?

With 4 conductors, two lines can be wired using terminals 1-4 on the terminal strip.
    http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/weco/510511.pdf

The 510F has a 6-conductor line cord so the signaling feature can be wired.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

JorgeAmely

D/P:
I got a six conductor cord from someone in the TCI list for a few bucks.
Jorge

paul-f

If you put a six-conductor line cord on a set marked 510 A/B, does that make it a "Frankenphone?"

JorgeAmely

Possibly, but you will learn a lot about lines and signaling.  ;D ;D ;D

Psst, we won't tell anyone.
Jorge

paul-f

And you can always keep the 4-conductor cord, so the set can be easily returned to original condition.   ;) ;)

Dan/Panther

The line cord won't matter to me as long as, "IT'S ALIVE."

Thanks you;
D/P

Dan/Panther

I found a 6 conductor Pink Princess line cord, will that work ????
D/P ::) :o

JorgeAmely

D/P:
That will work. For the third pair, or the signaling circuit, you could connect a small buzzer in series with a battery to check if the signaling circuit work too. There are some small ones that operate off 5 volts, so theoretically, you could connect it across the line and make it buzz when the phone is operating. However, this is just theory, no guarantees that it will work. A separate battery and buzzer is a better choice., since it will work even if the phone is on hook.

Jorge

Dan/Panther

Jorge;
Would it then be like call waiting, I could switch the switch and get a second call, and would it hang up the first call ?
D/P

JorgeAmely

I doubt it D/P. I don't think these phones could put a call on hold. I think they don't have a resistor required to do that.

Jorge

paul-f

Check out references to the 515 set for hold feature.  There are operating instructions in this BSP.  It's good reading for a bunch of 500 set variations.

http://www.telephonecollectors.org/DocumentLibrary/BSPs/502Division/502-501-102-i1-Reference-502-510-511-515-555-558.pdf

Dan/Panther

Paul;
Thanks, lots of good information there.
D/P