News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What else do you guys collect?

Started by Steve, December 22, 2008, 10:15:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

No I think he ran over "Uncle Martin" when he was parking!

If I had anywhere at all to keep more cars, I'd be in real trouble. So I make do with my subscription to "Collectible Automobile". It is a lot easier to store and consumes much less time over all.

Terry

MyDodgeDip

Quote from: Dennis Markham on April 07, 2012, 12:13:58 PM
Are those curb feelers on that LeBaron or just something on the ground in front of the front tire?

They are indeed curb feelers.  I must be hanging with the right crowd here.  People my age (27) always think something is falling off the car...  ::)  :D

twocvbloke

The last LeBaron convertible I saw has collapsed in the middle, just below the doors, but then I suppose it's owner jumping it at Davidsfarm canada wouldn't have done it much good anyway... :D

I think it was a mid 90's one and well beyond saving for road use though...  :D

MyDodgeDip

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 07, 2012, 03:29:19 PM
The last LeBaron convertible I saw has collapsed in the middle, just below the doors, but then I suppose it's owner jumping it at Davidsfarm canada wouldn't have done it much good anyway... :D

I think it was a mid 90's one and well beyond saving for road use though...  :D

Yea, from what I've seen, nothing makes it out of Dave's Farm alive  :D 

Telephonemans Daughter

Oil lamps.  The older and more decorative, the better.  I don't want the new stuff, I love the old ones with colored chimneys and unique bases.  I hate when I type in 'vintage' all these things from the 70s to today pop up and I don't consider that 'vintage'.  That's newer stuff that's a dime a dozen for the most part, so I've learned to enter 'antique'. 

What I love about having oil lamps around is that there are times I just have oil lamps lit around the house for the night, nothing electric.  It provides great ambiance.  On the occasion when the lights go out, my house is lit up really nice in every room and confuses my neighbors who think I have power. 

I also collect Steelers stuff.  Old items from the 70s and older.  I even will pick up some Pirate memorabilia and have some great posters of times gone by when they were World Series champs back in the early 1900s.  These all go into my Steelers/Pens/Pirates room.

"Hello, Hello, the Telephone Man says Hello."  This was how my dad always greeted you when he called.

Dennis Markham

Quote from: Telephonemans Daughter on March 22, 2013, 06:28:19 PM
I also collect Steelers stuff.  Old items from the 70s and older.  I even will pick up some Pirate memorabilia and have some great posters of times gone by when they were World Series champs back in the early 1900s.  These all go into my Steelers/Pens/Pirates room.

Last summer I visited Pittsburgh to take in a Detroit Tigers -vs- Pirates game.  While there we visited the Heinz History Center.  It's really a marvelous collection of memorabilia from all Pittsburgh sports as well as history in general of the area.  If you ever find yourself there, definitely worth the time to visit the museum.  Sorry to drift off-topic but wanted to reply to the Pittsburgh sports reference.

~Dennis

Telephonemans Daughter

Quote from: Dennis Markham on March 23, 2013, 11:16:39 AM
Quote from: Telephonemans Daughter on March 22, 2013, 06:28:19 PM
I also collect Steelers stuff.  Old items from the 70s and older.  I even will pick up some Pirate memorabilia and have some great posters of times gone by when they were World Series champs back in the early 1900s.  These all go into my Steelers/Pens/Pirates room.

Last summer I visited Pittsburgh to take in a Detroit Tigers -vs- Pirates game.  While there we visited the Heinz History Center.  It's really a marvelous collection of memorabilia from all Pittsburgh sports as well as history in general of the area.  If you ever find yourself there, definitely worth the time to visit the museum.  Sorry to drift off-topic but wanted to reply to the Pittsburgh sports reference.

~Dennis

I live in Pittsburgh, so that isn't off the mark at all.  I've been there, but need to go again.  They also do tours of Heinz Field and I took one to get down into the Steelers locker room as well.  There is so much history in my hometown.  Pittsburgh was one of the epicenters of immigration and the whole industrial age at the turn of the 20th century.  There's so many things here to see.  I'm glad you made it Dennis and I'm sure, knowing the Pirates latest history (and why I refuse to add that stuff to my collection), you enjoyed a win.  Great park huh?  I love living here and after living in many other places?  I can whole heartily say that! 
"Hello, Hello, the Telephone Man says Hello."  This was how my dad always greeted you when he called.

countryford

I collect almost anything vintage. It started with radios, tvs and phones. Now includes large appliances. Here are a couple pics of my collections.

My radio/tv room.

One of my jukeboxes. I have another identical, but in black. It is a 1956 AMi

Some of my larger appliances. The first one up is my 1963 Lady Kenmore Washer/Dryer. Both work great. I was using them regularly, but switched for a bit.

1954 Frigidaire washer/dryer. They both work, but the washer has a slight leak.

These are both dryers. The one on the right is a 1958 Frigidaire and the one on the left is a 1957 Lady Kenmore. I'm currently working on the 57 Lady K, and the 58 I'm having an issue with it dryer. No heat.

WesternElectricBen

That's some sweet stuff. I even like those vintage washer/driers, reminds me of the ones that were in our house.

Ben

Whitcrane76

I believe it would be easier to answer what I don't collect. Or to just say I collect collections.
Bottles, cans, rocks/fossils, diecast, signs, fans, Indian artifacts, etc..  It's overwhelming!

Whitcrane76

A little more.

jsowers

Whitcrane, somewhere in my pantry closet I think I still have the Coca-Cola cup from 1985 that I first tasted "New Coke" in. It may not be any different than any other cup from that era, but it has a distinct memory for me. I have at times had a small drink bottle collection, from back in the days when I mined glass for recycling in high school in the 1970s. I live near Owens-Illinois and they would buy glass by the truckload and recycle it. I kept out all the unusual drink bottles for myself. But it's nothing like the collection you have. It was nice to see. Thanks for posting it.
Jonathan

19and41

There was an Owens-Illinois plant in my hometown.  As opposed to taking glass for recycling, there were numerous dump areas across the town that had all kinds of bowling ball sized chunks of glass of many different colors.  We lived in Indiana and had a cottage in Michigan by a lake and my mother wanted to make a rock garden.  I put one of those chunks in the trunk and she didn't want to have it in her yard.  I rolled it down the 50 ft. bank and down in the lake, about 3 ft. deep and forgot it.  The next summer we went to eat at the best restaurant in town and found that chunk in a glass case with a newspaper story about a meteorite that our neighbor stumbled across while fly fishing.  My stepfather saw it and nearly died laughing and described in very earthy terms how it was a chunk of a frozen glass batch from Owens-Illinois in Gas City Indiana.  The owners were mortified to say the least.  He said it was allowed to harden because someone had fallen in it and couldn't be used for containers.  That really put the seal on the deal!
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

FABphones

I don't quite consider myself a collector of these, but I do like old Mortice/Skeleton keys. Found these two bunches this morning for the equivalent of $3 at a Vide Grenier. My house has a few keys missing from their old locks and although unlikely to fit, these will be tried out just for the fun of it.

Before being placed with others I have, it is an opportunity to try out a rust removal/metal restoration via Teleplay's Molasses bath method.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

RDPipes

CJ, nice keys, I have a small collection myself but, mine are of the smaller verity like handcuff and cabinet keys of the skeletal type.
I also use to collect about everything under the sun when the money was still flowing. Here a collection of "Attachment plugs" dating from the early years of electricity to about the 20's if memory serves me right. And then of course there were fans and small appliances and it just kept on going with, well you name it. Till one day it all got sold off one by one.