News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

12 phones and have no idea what I am doing.. Take a look..

Started by Everwood, February 03, 2011, 09:46:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Everwood

Hello thanks for taking the time to check these out... I could really use some help.
My ex-boss is retiring and he handed me a box of phones that he collected when he first started out with Bell.  They were still making rounds to replace party lines with the newer sets.  He always wanted to restore them.. but gave up and well now I have them..
I just started learning this stuff yesterday so please bare with me...
Here is a basic run down of what is pictured (from what I can gather)

WE 302 metal (4/40 base, 4/40 bell, 2/40 coil ... no dial.. just a blank)

WE 302 metal (12/39 base, 5/48 bell, 4/39 coil.. has dial can't see date yet)

WE 302 plastic (1/48 base, 1/48 bell, 1/48 coil, 1/48 cover .. cant see dial date)

WE 302 plastic (12/47 base, 12/47 bell, 4/47 coil, 12/47 cover, ?/54 dial) (WORKS)

WE 302 plastic w/ major melting damage to cover (4/48 base, 4/48 bell, 2/48 coil, blank dial) 

WE 500 black (6/54 bell, 6/54 coil, 6/56 dial)

WE 500 Ivory/Cream? (5/60 base, 2/60 bell, 5/60 coil, 5/60 dial)

WE 444? 6 button key system phone no lights ('46 coil, '46 cover, 6/46 base)

WE 354? wall phone black (5/50 base, 5/50 bell, 11/50 coil, 7/72 dial)

WE Trimline? cream, touch-tone, has stamp "Bell Systems Property" on base and dated 5/80

2 Leich convertible wall/desk phones.. base dated 1/56 and 3/56 (haven't opened them up yet)

AE speaker with mic box??  Has L7034 stamped on the schematic paper inside larger base.  L7033 stamped under separate smaller speaker box.  Can't find any dates anywhere.  My boss says this may go with the 6 button key system phone. ??

So.. if you were handed this box of phones.. where would you start?  What would you do first?
If you would like more pictures of anything in particular just let me know.
Any help or advice would be much appreciated.
Thanks again..

AE_Collector

Nice Haul Everwood, an Instant Phone Collection! Welcome to the forum.

What would I do with it all? Pack everything except the AE speakerphone adapter and Leich Convertibles into a donation box for the Salvation Army and then start refurbishing the "Keepers". But, that's just me, I collect AE stuff and Leich was related to AE. Of course I am kidding about tossing the WECo stuff.

The AE speakerphone thing is an adapter to convert a regular phone to a speakerphone. It is related to the AE 88 speakerphone which is a complete speakerphone built in an AE 80 (equivilent to a WECo 500). I don't have one of these AE "speakerphone adapters" so I am unsure if there is supposed to be a box with it containing a tube amplifier or if this adapter came along once they had transistorized things and jammed the amplifier into the control box.

Paul F has info on this item on his web site.

Terry

LarryInMichigan

Everwood,

Are you planning on restoring these, selling them, or what?  There have been plenty of discussions around here about restoring various phones, so you should be able to find whatever information or advice you need.  If you need wiring diagrams for most of your phones, you can find them at http://telephonecollectors.info/index.php?option=com_docman&Itemid=11.

Have fun!

Larry

Everwood

Thanks ae_collector.. I will do some more research on that.

Larry, I am fairly sure I will be restoring these.. just not sure where to start.  I spent several hours last night reading over these forums and tried to soak up as much as possible.  I didn't really want to even touch them until I knew what to do with them.  I didn't even know if I should keep the 40+ years of dust on them.  So I am thinking of starting with one.. maybe the cream 500?

Dennis Markham

Welcome to the Forum.  I think you have some nice phones there.  You may even find a nice #4 dial inside one of those 302's.  The key set is very collectible and one you should hang on to.  Eventually you'll be glad you did.  I'd pick the 1939 metal 302 and start with that one.  Clean them if you like them to look nice.  That's what I would do but that's just my opinion.

If you take things apart, make a diagram of what goes where.  But there are plenty of people that can point you in the right direction if you slip up on something.  And as Larry said, you should be able to find a ton of information on the Forum about refurbishing your phone.

Congratulations on the "instant collection".  You have a good friend (boss).

AE_Collector

Starting with the Ivory 500 set might be more of a challenge than one of the black ones since it is a light color that is likely discolored and may need sanding or at least the retrobright bleaching process to get it looking right.

Terry

Everwood

yup your right Terry, just got done with a basic cleaning on the Ivory 500.  I came over here to see how to fix just that issue when I saw your post :)  I figured probably a wet sand of some sort.. Im sure there is plenty of info here.. time to hit the search bar ... thanks for the help
Aaron

AE_Collector

Quote from: Everwood on February 03, 2011, 11:31:23 PM
yup your right Terry, just got done with a basic cleaning on the Ivory 500.  I came over here to see how to fix just that issue when I saw your post :)  I figured probably a wet sand of some sort.. Im sure there is plenty of info here.. time to hit the search bar ... thanks for the help
Aaron

You will find lots of sanding info and check on retrobright as well. Check out some of Jorge's "JorgeAmely" work with sand paper.

Terry

marty

Hi All;
Everwood, I would start with the one with no Dial, and see what it needs, to make it work and to gain confidence... and like what was stated before, keep the documentation... Then since you have so many 302's, I would make a list of what each one had, and compare parts and diagrams, (Of each phone) with what the forum has on the various sites... and save the multi-button 302 for last, since it is, so different (wiring wise) than the rest.... Welcome to the Forum, from another New member.... I envy you, You have a Great starting Collection)
THANK YOU Marty

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

stub

Everwood,
                  Welcome to the forum.  Great bunch of phones you have there!  Good luck with fixing them up. You should have plenty of help here , that is if you need it. ..  Enjoy!!!!   ::)   You know there is no known cure for this sickness!  ::)      stub
Kenneth Stubblefield

Phonesrfun

I would just start with one and go from there.  No sense in making your life miserable by trying to tackle them all at once.  Eventually you will learn through trial and error and from this forum what works well, what kind of works, and what doesn't work at all.  Fortunately, the older phones are pretty tough and will take a lot.  Nothing needs to be pristine unless you really want it to be.  Most of my phones are in decent shape and not like they came right off the factory line, and some started out as real rough specimens.

Welcome to the forum.

-Bill G

jsowers

Before you start, take some "before" pictures of the phone to document how it looked when you got it. Digital pictures are dirt cheap, only costing storage space. If you take pictures of the insides, you will have a record of how it was wired if you need it. Also, Western Electric dated most of their components, so pictures of the dates would be nice to have. You don't have to do each separate thing. Handset components in one shot and housing, dial, etc. in another.

Then when you finish, take some "after" pictures and post one or two here for us to see. Welcome to the Forum and I hope you have lots of fun with your instant phone collection.
Jonathan

LarryInMichigan

After you have restored them, don't forget to plug in some of your new old phones and have fun using them :)

Larry

Everwood

thanks everyone for the warm welcome and great advice.  I am going to take it one phone at a time as suggested.  Im taking ALOT of pictures, figure can't have too many right?  I will post pictures as they come back to life.  I actually work on Avaya phone systems as my profession... and refurb alot of phones to resell.. but cleaning these is actually enjoyable.. :) 
thanks again everyone..
Aaron