Dan's North Gallion set w/ cut-away fingerwheel $22.00
3 (13%)
pbghmike77's 28 B's & D's + parts $80.00
9 (39.1%)
Teleplay's 1948 302 $32.00
2 (8.7%)

Total Members Voted: 23

AE_Collector

Please post your April 2011 "Finds of the Month" nominations here.  Thank you!

Kenny C

I nominate masstel's 9-50 WE 500 Set Here is the topic, and a Photo

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4625.msg59083#new
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Jim Stettler

and for only $29.00. It is a great find.
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Jim Stettler

I will nominate Marty's 557 Mahogany switchboard. This is the scarcer of the A vs B.
It is basically complete. He got it for $250.00  delivered

Here is a thread with photo's. http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4677.0;topicseen

This board won't require much to get it up and running.

It is a very nice board. Did you see the price included delivery?
Jim

BTW this board probably weighs 650+ lb.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

marty

HI All;
THANK YOU JIM.. And the Floor is sagging, some... Or is it just my back, from moving it back and forth..
THANK YOU Marty

Kenny C

I nominate Dan's Gallion set

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=4709.msg59971#new

<edit> And here's a picture of it with the AE dial and cutaway fingerwheel. {and only $22.00}
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Dan

"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

pbghmike77

These arent pretty but I'm sure to all of the collectors they have much potential to be pretty. Mostly D-1's with a few B-1's. I've sold a few on Ebay already, but in all I had 28 phones total, 4 more incomplete phones, and 25 bases I scored at an estate sale for $80.

Greg G.

Quote from: pbghmike77 on April 20, 2011, 12:02:41 AM
These arent pretty but I'm sure to all of the collectors they have much potential to be pretty. Mostly D-1's with a few B-1's. I've sold a few on Ebay already, but in all I had 28 phones total, 4 more incomplete phones, and 25 bases I scored at an estate sale for $80.

I may have bought one of them.  I got a D1 with a seamed E1 handset from ebay recently.  It had a reproduction spit cup, was that yours?
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Doug Rose

What a tremendous find! Was the person a collector? I like to get the story behind a huge find, but I also like to get them out of there before someone else sees them. Welcome to the Forum....Doug
Kidphone

GG

Probably someone who worked for the Bell, and during the 70s encountered those in the field while doing re-installs, and kept them rather than turning them in to be melted down for relay racks or whatever.   That would be the typical route to a stash like that, particularly all tossed in a box together.  Speaking from similar experiences, though AE, back in highschool.

I don't normally tread into "find of the month" because it's hard to pick favorites, but a stash of D1s & B1s in a random box like that is definitely a major find.  So I'd nominate & vote for it. 

Do you have any incomplete D1s consisting of everything except dial, handset, and cords?  If so, care to sell via here?  Reason being, I have spare 5Hs and F1s, and I'd like to piece together an example of that version. 

pbghmike77

Quote from: Brinybay on April 20, 2011, 05:01:34 AM
Quote from: pbghmike77 on April 20, 2011, 12:02:41 AM

I may have bought one of them.  I got a D1 with a seamed E1 handset from ebay recently.  It had a reproduction spit cup, was that yours?

Well my Ebay seller name is the same as my name here. I think the only D-1/E-1 I have sold that I didnt deliver here locally went overseas.

pbghmike77

Quote from: Doug Rose on April 20, 2011, 08:12:52 AM
What a tremendous find! Was the person a collector? I like to get the story behind a huge find, but I also like to get them out of there before someone else sees them. Welcome to the Forum....Doug
Yeah the gentleman had worked for the phone company. I'm finding more and more that the generation that grew up during the depression time period became some serious hoarders. As a picker that thoroughly excites me. I am not a collector myself but have a huge respect for any type of collectible, and love to see it go to someone who appreciates it. I've take a serious liking to Western Electric anything!! Thanks for the welcome Doug.

pbghmike77

Quote from: GG on April 20, 2011, 11:10:12 AM

Probably someone who worked for the Bell, and during the 70s encountered those in the field while doing re-installs, and kept them rather than turning them in to be melted down for relay racks or whatever.   That would be the typical route to a stash like that, particularly all tossed in a box together.  Speaking from similar experiences, though AE, back in highschool.

I don't normally tread into "find of the month" because it's hard to pick favorites, but a stash of D1s & B1s in a random box like that is definitely a major find.  So I'd nominate & vote for it. 

Do you have any incomplete D1s consisting of everything except dial, handset, and cords?  If so, care to sell via here?  Reason being, I have spare 5Hs and F1s, and I'd like to piece together an example of that version. 
Make sure I'm reading this right. Your looking for the shell and the guts with a plunger in tact and base? Please excuse my ignorance of proper part names. I love forums like this because I learn what to look for, and I am educated by guys who have such a passion. I'll check back to make sure I am reading the question right. Thanks

GG

Mike-  Yes, that's right.  The metal housing with cradle, the movable bar and plunger assembly in the cradle, the switch contacts that the vertical bar operates when it's pressed down (and the terminal screws attached to them), and the (typically leather-covered) oval base that's screwed onto the bottom of the main housing.  What I'm looking for is one that just consists of those things (basically is missing its dial and handset) and isn't bent or cracked or rusted out or corroded to the point of metal being pitted.  If you have one like that, a couple of photos would be helpful along with a price. 

Difficult economic times lead to hoarding because people realize that if they throw something out today, they may need it tomorrow and not be able to replace it.  That mindset also goes along with developing skills such as hunting, growing food in household gardens, building things from scratch, repairing things, and so on, that add up to a major advantage compared to those who just throw stuff out and replace it or hire others to do all their hands-on and "dirty" jobs.  Learning new hands-on skills is always a good investment.