"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Got a Galion

Started by old_stuff_hound, August 07, 2011, 07:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Rose

Quote from: canuckphoneguy on March 29, 2012, 08:37:32 PM
I just bought a Galion myself. What did you do to get it so shiny?

I am having trouble getting it to ring - any suggestions?
I just received a North Galion yesterday that was packed poorly and received some damage to the back of the phone and the dial. I removed the dial for repair and put in a dial blank. I used fine steel wool with Noxon. Finished it off with Avon Skin so Soft. Came out great, but it can't be sold with the damage. card is new., old cord is different.  I couldn't throw it away, as the damage is a minor crack....so I saved it. Bakelite is just so cool....Doug
Kidphone

HowardPgh

That loose ringer vs coil must be a common thing. I got two phones with destroyed coils like the one shown from Ebay sellers.  I wonder if it happens in shipping or even before the seller gets the phone.
I keep meaning to send a message when I win  a phone to tell the seller to make sure nothing is clunking around inside.

Howard

Doug Rose

In a North Galion the gongs are separate and secured on their own. They are very hard to move. On the other hand, the ringer/clapper is secured by two very short screws that always seem to to need tightening. Many times one screw is missing and the other very loose and the clapper is way over the perfect strike area of the gongs.  It doesn't take a lot for the ringer to be free inside the phone....Doug
Kidphone

old_stuff_hound

Quote from: canuckphoneguy on March 29, 2012, 08:37:32 PM
I just bought a Galion myself. What did you do to get it so shiny?

Mine's Bakelite so what I did may not work for you, but I took it all apart, and first washed it thoroughly with water & dish soap. I then polished it with Meguiar's automotive polishes -- rubbing compound, polishing compound, and wax in that order. It's a little time consuming but not too bad. It's also not as shiny in person than in the photos.

I am having trouble getting it to ring - any suggestions?

Probably a frequency ringer. I ended up using a ringer from a 302.

HowardPgh

Doug
That handset cord is definitely unusual.  It almost looks like a toaster cord.
Howard