News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New addition to the family, SC1243

Started by BDM, March 09, 2009, 10:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BDM

Well, received my new addition today. A very clean Stromberg-Carlson 1243. Pretty much a turn-key telephone. Works perfectly.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

HobieSport

A real beaut, Brian.  I like the styling of the SC1243s.  It's a metal housing, correct?  I have a couple of them but the paint is worn off pretty bad.

Dennis Markham

Nice looking phone Brian.  I like the style of those cut corner phones.  Life is good!

BDM

Yup, metal. This is the model that W.E. preferred to use just after the war, when they couldn't meet demand with their own 302. One of the rare moments Ma Bell used another manufacture.

Those would be good candidates for perfecting your painting technique  ;)
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

BDM

Thanks Dennis. My independent telephone family is growing. Soon, the W.E. sets in my home are going to revolt :-X
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

rp2813

I had one of these on loan from a friend for a while, but it had a more E1 looking handset.  No spitcup transmitter or anything but the spine was very E1.  Would that have been a 1243 too, or is WE the only manufacturer that mixed and matched bases and handsets?

Ralph
Ralph

BDM

Quote from: rp2813 on March 19, 2009, 06:06:52 PM
I had one of these on loan from a friend for a while, but it had a more E1 looking handset.  No spitcup transmitter or anything but the spine was very E1.  Would that have been a 1243 too, or is WE the only manufacturer that mixed and matched bases and handsets?

Ralph

It may have been the handset used on their 1212 and earlier phones. They look similar to an E1. Also, their 1177 series cradle phones used a handset that looks even more like an E1. Now, the 1222 and 1223 phone may have had either the handset like I have (rib back), or the earlier one.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

AET

- Tom