News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

White Soft Plastic AE80

Started by LarryInMichigan, December 12, 2012, 02:44:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LarryInMichigan

I finally got a couple of pictures of my white AE80 which I bought on ebay a few weeks ago (ebay link).  The phone was very dirty, discolored, and scratched when it arrived.  Some of the scratches were quite deep.  I did alot of cleaning, sanding, bleaching, and polishing, and it camera out pretty well (by my standards).  Here are a few pictures.  The first one and the picture of the bottom are from the ebay listing.  The phone is begging for a chrome dial center card retainer.  If anyone has a spare, please contact me.

BTW, this phone has an SATT dial and an extra 1MF condenser in it.  I do not know what the extra condenser does.  The ringer is an SL, which seems strange being that the dial is an SATT.  The phone works perfectly, but the SATT contacts make funny clicking sounds when the dial returns.

Thank you

Larry

david@london

.......really nice restoration larry....that handset cord looks like it came from the factory this morning.

i need to have another go some time at the cord on my aqua blue 500. did you use boiling water/dowel rod/freezer ?

LarryInMichigan

Quotei need to have another go some time at the cord on my aqua blue 500. did you use boiling water/dowel rod/freezer ?
I am cheap and lazy when it comes to these things.  I have an old thick plastic clothes hanger which I cut near one end on the bottom straight part.  I clean the cord well and then coil it around the straight part of the hanger.  I set the hanger and cord on top of my oil-filled electric radiator and let it sit for an hour or so until it is very warm.  I then hang the hanger inside my freezer for several minutes.  The cords usually come out pretty well.  If the cord is really stretched, I reverse the direction of the coiling before doing the hanger thing.

Larry

Dennis Markham

Looks very nice, Larry.  Nice work.

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: Dennis Markham on December 12, 2012, 06:43:35 PM
Looks very nice, Larry.  Nice work.

Thank you Dennis.  A very generous forum member has offered me some spare dial center retainer rings, so this phone should be looking even better soon.

Larry

AE40FAN

Larry great job it looks NOS!  Hey, I have these chrome dial card rings I am not sure if they go on an AE80?
If you want one It's yours....

LarryInMichigan

AE40FAN,

Thank you.  The phone doesn't quite look NOS.  The color is not quite white, and there is a thin crack which does not go all the way through the plastic in the right front corner of the shell.  Compared to how the phone looked when it arrived though, it looks great, and I am happy with it.  It actually looked much worse in person than in the ebay listing pictures.  Also, the side not shown in the listing pictures was full of very deep scratches.

Thank you for the offer for the ring.  Those may be the correct rings, but they are actually only half of what is needed.  The tab on the chrome ring fits into an opening in the metal part which sits behind the finger wheel.  There is another metal piece which fits into that ring, and it has a tab which snaps over a tab on the opposite side of the metal part behind the finger wheel.

Now that I have soft plastic AE80s in white, yellow, blue, turquoise, and pink, I need to find the rest of the colors.  This one is actually not entirely soft plastic.  The handset caps are ABS though they are missing the center holes like the soft plastic ones.

Larry

AE40FAN

Larry, I suggest you try a volume 40 peroxide treatment on that phone.  Two hours in the hot sun....you'd be amazed!

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: AE40FAN on December 12, 2012, 08:56:11 PM
Larry, I suggest you try a volume 40 peroxide treatment on that phone.  Two hours in the hot sun....you'd be amazed!

That is what I did.  Sunlight is in very short supply here in southeast Michigan, but I let it sit for quite a long time.  It lightened considerably, but not completely.

Larry