"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What the heck!? Discolored Northern Ivory Uniphone

Started by Jester, June 26, 2010, 06:33:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

Harry;
The small spots may be just the last hold outs from the gradual fading.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

paul-f

Check out the photos the seller added.  It looks like there's no discoloration inside the housing.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

AE_Collector

Quote from: paul-f on June 29, 2010, 04:17:47 PM
Check out the photos the seller added.  It looks like there's no discoloration inside the housing.

Pretty much looks like a reaction to the oil on the users skin. Discoloration is all over handset handle and the receiver cap but not the transmitter cap. Also on the back of the cradle where your hands would touch when picking up and returning the receiver to the cradle.

Terry

HarrySmith

Yes, after seeing the photos of the inside that makes sense. The inside looks like a normal Ivory colored housing, no discoration at all. Ray posted some Hi Res pictures here:
http://picasaweb.google.com/kleenax/IvoryUniphoneOnEBay# ( dead link 03-11-21 )
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Tribune

Reviving a bit of a dormant thread here, but as an NE Uniphone lover (a No.2 is my current kitchen wall-phone) catching up on recent forum threads, I read this with interest. Paul-F's description of the Uniphones on his website is great, but I did read recently on the islandregister.com (http://tinyurl.com/islandregister) about the history of the Telephone on Prince Edward Island that . . .

"The Uniphone was produced in a burled walnut colour in addition to the black, and in a rare beige colour, quickly withdrawn from the market, as the material tended to be unstable, warping, and bleaching in the sunlight"

Certainly looks like the bleaching has been going on here!
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

To miss-quote "Bones" McCoy . . .
                     "darn it Jim - I'm a doctor, not a telephone engineer!"

NorthernMan

Thanks Tribune for reviving this thread. I had heard there was another color for the Uniphones but had never seen a picture of one till now. The date is 12-21-42 so it was made three and a quarter years after WW2 started, perhaps they were trying to find a way to use products not needed for the war effort.
                 Does anybody know what the phone sold for? How many of these are still around ?

Jester

NorthernMan,

I seem to recall that this one didn't sell(at auction) & was not relisted.  I have been a fan of Uniphones for many years after seeing my first example in burled walnut right here in Southeast Texas.  The first example in burled walnut that I was able to purchase actually came from PEI.  You can read about it here:http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=1075.0
I would be happy to find one of these, but I would like it to be a little cheaper! :o
Stephen

NorthernMan

Jester, thanks for the info, i have a lot of these black Uniphones probably way too many, i got most of them for free, i know a guy who used  to remove them from service in the 70's . They were going to be junked anyways so what the hey.
What i am now trying to do is find the oldest one i can , either thru Ebay or where ever. My earliest is 1938 . Is the oldest 1935 ? They used to be quite common at garage sales but now are getting a little hard to find for cheap.
I have 6 brown ones in perfect condition and a couple more that are cracked and broken.
Sure would like to get a beige one!

Tribune

I love these NE Uniphones - the shape, clean lines, the simplicity of the design, the internal layout and space. I don't know, just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

Still trying to learn all I can about them. Like, when did they stop making them with leather feet and move to rubber, or were they all initially leather and then replaced when they were refurbed? What cords did they originally have? Were they ever actually released with the AE 24 or Northern N14 dials - only ever seen (pictures or in the flesh) NE 5s and GPO No.10s. Many many more questions, lol! . . . .
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

paul-f

I can offer a photo of one with an AE dial.  I'd like to see one with a N14 dial.

http://www.paul-f.com/neUNI.html
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Tribune

A Uniphone No.2 with what to my untutored eye looks like an AE dial, up on eBay.com right now.
Got to put the breaks on my phone spending here, so if anyone fancies a bid . . .

http://tinyurl.com/NEUniphoneNo2AEdial
Mark Furze - TCI, ATCA

Doug Rose

Looks to me like a Phoneco "upgraded dial." Buyer beware....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Quote from: Kidphone on December 11, 2010, 07:11:45 PM
Looks to me like a Phoneco "upgraded dial." Buyer beware....Doug

Don't know anything about that but I was going to point out that it is in southern USA rather than Canada so that might make shipping a better price for those of you south of the 49th. I also noticed that there is a USPS option on the shipping page that at least to my zip code is a better deal than the one quoted on the main auction page.

Terry