News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Cleaning out grandparent's attic....

Started by Tim, March 26, 2010, 01:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Stettler

Quote from: Tim on March 26, 2010, 09:36:02 PMBriny --  Good job on that..I know what you mean...just today I scrubbed down 4 of these Leich phones and they look great...I won't give up on them just from some dirt and grime.....what parts do you put let soak in the Oxiclean?  I've read a lot of people do that...

Jim  --  Thanks for the information and interest on the panel payphone.. I think all of the phones in the last set of pictures will be staying in the family though.

Larry  --  I've been looking around on the site more and saw that the Leich looks to be the Leich 700, which you had posted some information about in the auction section..I just don't have the body to put it on I guess......maybe some more digging will find one..

Tim,
I don't blame you for keeping them. If you ever decide to sell the 3-slot, please advise me.

I believe I have some BSP's (Bell system Practices) { Installer/service info}
for the 3/slot panel phone.  If you are interested I will eventually get them scanned and can send you a copy.
You can find lot's of documentation on Doc Remco's site, He has some info regarding some of your newly acquired collection:
http://sc.infc.info/
Remco maintains an extensive library of telephone documents.
  He is currently off-line, I think he is still touring the US..
Jim
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

Greg G.

Quote from: Tim on March 26, 2010, 09:36:02 PM
Briny --  Good job on that..I know what you mean...just today I scrubbed down 4 of these Leich phones and they look great...I won't give up on them just from some dirt and grime.....what parts do you put let soak in the Oxiclean?  I've read a lot of people do that...

Just the plastic parts.  Involves totally dismantling the phone, but that's not difficult.  Putting it back together sometimes is, but that's a different story.  On this one, I also dismantled the 4-prong plug. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

Quote from: Brinybay on March 26, 2010, 09:25:41 PM
Quote from: Tim on March 26, 2010, 02:08:03 PM
As I wrote, there are quite a few of them.  At first they look to be in rough shape, but most of it is the effect of being in an attic for so long without being touched....

Thanks again! 

Tim

Never judge them by the amount of grime on them.  Here's an example of the filthiest phone I've acquired so far.  All it took was an overnight bath in Oxiclean of the plastic parts, including the handset and line cord, to clean it up.  I haven't even buffed it to any great extent.  Perfectly functioning.

what is your recipe
In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

McHeath

Welcome Tim.

Those are some great finds in the attic!  One of those Leich conversions sold on E-Bay a few days ago, here is the link.

http://tinyurl.com/y93bb6z
( dead link 05-31-21 )

It did not go for much, which is probably due to the color as beige or ivory are often the least desired. 

Greg G.

Quote from: Kennyc1955 on March 26, 2010, 11:27:10 PM
Quote from: Brinybay on March 26, 2010, 09:25:41 PM
Quote from: Tim on March 26, 2010, 02:08:03 PM
As I wrote, there are quite a few of them.  At first they look to be in rough shape, but most of it is the effect of being in an attic for so long without being touched....

Thanks again! 

Tim

Never judge them by the amount of grime on them.  Here's an example of the filthiest phone I've acquired so far.  All it took was an overnight bath in Oxiclean of the plastic parts, including the handset and line cord, to clean it up.  I haven't even buffed it to any great extent.  Perfectly functioning.
what is your recipe

Oxiclean and enough hot water to cover the parts in a small tub.  As to the amount of Oxiclean, I just use the "by guess and by golly" method.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

Kenny C

In memory of
  Marie B.
1926-2010

Tim

Quote from: McHeath on March 26, 2010, 11:54:36 PM

It did not go for much, which is probably due to the color as beige or ivory are often the least desired. 

McHeath, thanks for that link....I was wondering what kind of pricing range they would be in, in case we're to sell a few...I'm assuming black would be about the same, since it's a commmon color?
- Tim -

McHeath

Probably would go for a similar price.  Colors like red, blue, pink and yellow would command a lot more attention and price, but I don't know if your model was made in those colors. 

bingster

According to Paul F., the Leich Convertible was available in these colors: black, red, gray, yellow, light blue, white, beige, green, turquoise, pink, ivory, dark gray, rose beige, dark blue and clear.  Quite a color lineup for a low-production set.
= DARRIN =

LarryInMichigan

Tim,

Pictures 3 and 4 show an AE80.  8 and 9 show an AE40.  The Leich convertible shell in pictures 1 and 2 looks just like the shell of my Leich 700 to which you referred.  As far as I am aware, these shell fit only the Leich 700 base and were not used on any conversions.  The shell and handset were designed to allow the phone to be used as either a desk or wall phone, hence the "convertible" designation.  The handset has a thick handle with a triangular shape on the bottom side to fit into the cradle in two different orientations.

I think that the beige conversion phone which sold on ebay recently would have gone for more had it not been for the holes drilled into one side of the shell.  I would think that even the black phones could fetch $30 if they're presently properly including good pictures showing them clean, and statements about the working conditions.  A listing with a small, blurry picture of a dirty phone and a description stating that seller does not know what he/she is selling or whether or not it works usually results in a much lower sale price. 

In case you do decide to sell any, I would be interested.

Larry

wecoguy

Tim --

You have really found a gold mine in your grandparents' attic.

The three slot panel coin phone is exceptionally rare!  I know of only one other in existence.  If you insure your collection, you should value this one at $3,000-$4,000 or more.

Tim

Quote from: wecoguy on March 30, 2010, 10:44:59 AM

The three slot panel coin phone is exceptionally rare!  I know of only one other in existence.  If you insure your collection, you should value this one at $3,000-$4,000 or more.

Thanks for that Wecoguy, I searched online quite a bit and really couldn't find information on the panel coin phone..

Quote from: LarryInMichigan on March 27, 2010, 10:41:21 PM

In case you do decide to sell any, I would be interested.

Larry

With how many of the North/Leich's we have I'm sure some will be sold.  I'll send you a PM when I know for sure, and then I will post more of them afterward.
- Tim -

Tim

Over the weekend I went through the North/Leich's again (most of which we had just put into a big box), and found a couple different phones....

One was a complete Leich 700...It was a bit grungy, so I cleaned it up...and it had a newer cord on it, so I ended up switching that out for a cord from a North/Leich that I'll use for parts because it has some problems..The only trouble I'm having with it is hearing the other end, it cuts in and out...it comes back if I tap the hookswitch, but after a few seconds I can't hear anything anymore....

When I first opened it up, there was a piece of paper in it, and it ended up being the schematic which is included in the pictures....

Larry, the information from everyone in your post on your Leich 700 post is great, especially that brochure PDF link you attached..  Also, I noticed you mentioned you had a frequency ringer in yours....I noticed this on ebay when I was searching around and it looks the same as the ringer that is in mine,  (just in case you're still needing one to fit it)......
http://cgi.ebay.com/Leich-Electric-100-Type-Telephone-Ringer_W0QQitemZ360248375415QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item53e079f877 ( dead link 05-31-21 )

The only thing I don't understand about these phones is how they are stamped 105 and the paper I found says 100 series, yet they're called a 700?
- Tim -

Tim

The other phone I found was another AE 80.....from what I've seen on here (you guys are a great resource of information), along with the date stamp on the bottom, this one is older than the first one I found....This is stamped 10-61-2, while the other is 4-66-10...It has both cords coming out of the back, along with a dial with just the numbers..

Besides the outer differences, this one is quite heavy and the inside is also quite different from the other....this one has a large plastic piece under the dial, and the gears for the dial have a plastic case over them....the contacts for the hookswitch also have a plastic cover over them...I am a rookie, but haven't seen this in AE 80's before...

Any insight is appreciated!

Thanks - Tim
- Tim -

JorgeAmely

Tim:

That AE80 is a keeper. Most likely it has a bakelite handset, which make the whole set very heavy. The rural numbers wheel is kind of rare also.

Jorge