News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Novus Polish??

Started by The Soph Gent, May 05, 2012, 09:40:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Soph Gent

I have tried Novus polish (#2) 3 different times on Bakelite Phones and (for me) it doesn't seem to do anything. I have tried hand polishing and buffing with a Ryobi hand buffer and it does NOTHING to improve the shine.
In fact, at times, it seems to make the area duller.

Luckily I have great success with using my polishing machine with tripoli and rouge but I wanted to try the Novus since many swear by it. I know that if silicone has hit the phone that Novus will not help but it's hard for me to accept that ALL 3 different phones have had silicone.

Any suggestions?

Dan/Panther

Bakelite has a crust that once it's been compromised is very hard if not impossible to restore. Some will use shoe polish, others will clearcoat, some will paint it black.
To get a really nice sheen it has to be in very good condition to begin with.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

The Soph Gent

Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 05, 2012, 01:19:35 PM
Bakelite has a crust that once it's been compromised is very hard if not impossible to restore. Some will use shoe polish, others will clearcoat, some will paint it black.
D/P

These phones are in excellent condition. The only way I get a "back to new" shine is with my polishing machine and compound. I am just surprised how many people have said to use Novus. My personal opinion is that Novus is a very over rated product. I'll probably take some heat for that comment but I have yet to see Novus do ANYTHING.

Doug Rose

Your opinion....but I disagree. When I am out of Norvus 2, I use Brasso or Noxon. Try that and see. Why don't you post a before picture so we can see what you're trying to refurb....good luck...Doug
Kidphone

wds

I usually only use Novus on plastic, not bakelite.  For bakelite I get good results with polishing compound and a rag, or sometimes on the polishing wheel. 
Dave

HarrySmith

I agree with Dave, I use Novus #2 on plastic with great results. I have not gotten good results on bakelite, I use steel wool and compound for that also.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Doug Rose

I think Norvus 2 gives a good clean and shine to bakelite. Only after using fine steel wool on the bakelite first. I have no problem sustituting Brasso or Noxon if I am out of Norvus, but if you are not using fine steel wool, you are leaving out the most important part, IMHO. Avon SSS is my last step on bakelite....Doug
Kidphone

JorgeAmely

Quote from: The Soph Gent on May 05, 2012, 02:30:36 PM
Quote from: Dan/Panther on May 05, 2012, 01:19:35 PM
D/P

These phones are in excellent condition. The only way I get a "back to new" shine is with my polishing machine and compound. I am just surprised how many people have said to use Novus. My personal opinion is that Novus is a very over rated product. I'll probably take some heat for that comment but I have yet to see Novus do ANYTHING.

Let me throw in the first lit match  ;D ;D ;D :
Plastic phone:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/WesternElectricModel500

Bakelite phone:
https://picasaweb.google.com/Amelyenator/AutomaticElectricModelAE34A3Telephone

I have gone through a couple of gallons of the stuff during my phone collecting years. It does work, but don't lose hope:  it takes a while to learn how to use the Ryobi RB-60 polisher and Novus. When polishing bakelite, the pad needs to turn dark and the surface of the phone needs to warm up a lot. That is an indication that the tool and the compound are doing their job. If bakelite doesn't shine after this, then the thin layer of plastic is gone. You then have to resort to other stuff (from shoe shine all the way to paint). When polishing plastic phones, the compound will eventually dry from friction and the surface of the parts you are polishing will turn very warm also.

Practice on something you can throw away if you ruin it.

One more thing, Novus 2 is the last step in polishing a phone: prior to that, the surface needs to have been wet sanded with 1000 and 2000 grit before Novus (except bakelite).

PS: You can use Novus 2 on gongs to get a mirror like finish that looks almost like gold plating.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

I'll throw the second lit match.  I respectfully disagree with Doug's comments about steel wool on Bakelite.  I use it on spots as a last resort.  Usually on the ear or transmitter cap where the brown crud seems to form and only after I've washed and polished it using Novus2.  For the most part I get a very nice shine using Novus2, elbow grease and the Ryobi buffer.  Some Bakelite has been a lost cause.  My experience with steel wool is that it makes the finish dull.  It may take off the top layer of dirt and crud but a good cleaning and polishing will do that too and safer, in my opinion.

Everyone's experiences are different.  But now Soph Gent you have several view points.  Mileage may vary.

Doug Rose

I respectively disagree
Kidphone

Doug Rose

I repectively disagree part II

What am I seeing that everyone else is missing?
Kidphone

TelePlay

Quote from: Doug Rose on May 05, 2012, 09:27:27 PMWhat am I seeing that everyone else is missing?

Maybe it's your secret method of how you use Novus 2 on Bakelite to get that finish, your personal technique by the numbers if you care to share, and how many cans of elbow grease once can expect to use. ;)

I'm still experimenting with Novus on plastic and making progress so I would be interested in knowing exactly how you use it (apply and buff) before I start on a few dozen 302 handsets I now have.

Witty

I think what I am seeing in the last few responses is a comparison of Apples to Oranges.  Dennis and Doug are both correct in their assessments based on their experiences, but I have to note that the two before and after photos of Doug's are of bakelite that still has the original surface finish fairly intact, which would make his results valid.  Novus will obviously work ok on bakelite that still has it's original surface treatment intact. I think, and correct me if I am wrong, that the big question here is about getting a good shine on bakelite that has lost it's original surface finish.  In which case Dennis is very correct in his assessment.  Old bakelite with the original surface finish destroyed is almost like (a little exaggerated here) trying to polish a sponge.  The core of bakelite without the original surface treament finish is very open and porous. You have to fill those porous openings to create a finish similar to how it was originally manufactured in order to get a smooth shinny finish, either by filling in with shoe polish or some other surface treatment that will fill those open pores and allow you get a smooth shiny finish.  When you use any kind of abrasive on the original bakelite finish, you continue to wear away that unique surface treatment used by the manufacturer to get a shiny finish, and it is impossible to replace it once it is completely gone and the inside core (exaggerated sponge) has been exposed.
Ken

The Soph Gent

Thanks to everyone for their opinions. I Agree with Dennis about the steel wool. I have tried it several times and all it does is scratch up the surface. I am using 0000 wool. I KNOW that Doug will disagree with this since he uses the steel wool and SSS all the time; and he gets great results with the steel wool. I also use SSS in the end and that really puts the shine on. But the steel wool (for me) does more damage than helps. It puts the fine scratches on that just doesn't come out.
Here are a couple of before/after photos that Doug asked for. Many have commented that if the original surface of the Bakelite is "missing" that it is almost impossible to get the shine back with Novus. But how can you tell if the original is gone? These phones appear to be in excellent condition, just a bit dull.

Also, members on this thread have stated that Novus works well only on plastic while others say that they have good results even with Bakelite. IS it possible that a member could post a YouTube on their process with Novus WITH Bakelite?

Photos attached:

Greg G.

Quote from: The Soph Gent on May 06, 2012, 06:24:35 AM
... members on this thread have stated that Novus works well only on plastic while others say that they have good results even with Bakelite. IS it possible that a member could post a YouTube on their process with Novus WITH Bakelite?

I really don't think Novus is intended for Bakelite, although it may shine it up a bit.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, Bakelite has/had a thin outer layer that gave it the gloss look, but over time it wears off and there's no bringing it back.

Here's an instructional video for using Novus on plastic: http://tinyurl.com/how-to-use-novus

On this same website, I learned a tip for working with plastic.  They say to never use paper towels on plastic, it scratches it. http://tinyurl.com/tapplastics-novus  Also on furniture restoration sites I've read that although fine steel wool is a good tool, it is possible to over-use it and do more harm than good.  
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e