News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

WE202 with built in ringer

Started by RAW302, September 24, 2013, 04:04:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAW302

How is it possible to have a WE202 with a built in ringer?  Please refer to Ebay item 151129582335.  I'm not in the market; just curious.

Rachel
Rachel

southernphoneman

someone else will probably have some input, but I just looked this phone up and any 202 with a built in ringer probably has been modified which would take away its authenticity. also these phones require a subset to work properly which I didn t see in the listing, because there were no photos of its inside. I don t even no if the handset is period correct or even a western electric handset. Gregg

HarrySmith

I saw that listing also. I was hoping for pictures of the inside to no avail.
Gregg is correct, they never came with a ringer from WE.
I was going to ask the seller but figured it was a waste of time!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

G-Man

Also has the wrong dial and handset

tallguy58

Frankenphone candidate.

Wrong dial.

Wrong handset.
Cheers........Bill

Doug Rose

picture for posterity...looks like a NE NU handset..Doug
Kidphone

K1WI

Doug,  
Thanks for posting pix  can't open ebay item.   I've been saying for a long time don't assume that "Ma bell" or her Canadian cousin didn't make it that way.   I have  dial version I assume Canadian  , due to handset and where I got it , 202 in NICKLE with a brown NU handset and a chrome GPO dial new in box ( with absolutely  no writing on box ) that I got up in Newfie  many years ago.  And it has black cloth cords . Also have a no dial manual  Western 202  in silver plate , that came out of a WE co 3rd line supervisors office.with a brown F1 handset.
 Working for phone companies for 35 years I've come across MANY phones that I've heard never existed..

ANDY F K1WI    @MGH

PS  Still looking for that BLACK lightweight F1* handset , that I've been told never existed .
Andy F    K1WI

poplar1

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

This sure looks like the same phone, but with a different handset.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161114192728

"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

TelePlay

Okay, I captured the base photo from each listing. The handsets are different but the phone is not only identical but also placed exactly the same in each photo. All I did was resize them to match each other and when laid on top of each other, the phones are identical. The base screws, the marks in the leather/felt, the dust, everything is the same, it's the same phone, but two different handsets. How did they do that? Go figure.

The bottom photo is an overlay with one of the photos being at 50% opacity. You can see the difference in the handsets but the phone is a match.

Doug Rose

Working for phone companies for 35 years I've come across MANY phones that I've heard never existed..

ANDY F K1WI    @MGH

PS  Still looking for that BLACK lightweight F1* handset , that I've been told never existed .

[/quote]  Andy the lightweight F1 you are looking for was made of thermoplastic. It was black and made at the tail end of the F1s life. I have had a few, they are REAL and very light compared to the heavyweight Bakelite F1....good luck in your search....Doug
Kidphone

K1WI

Doug ,
         Thanks , I know I have a broken one.   I remember they were also used on the OGT   ( outgoing trunk test panel) in some crossbar COs.    But I've been told they were never made
Andy F    K1WI

G-Man

Quote from: K1WI on September 24, 2013, 09:13:12 PM
Doug ,
         Thanks , I know I have a broken one.   I remember they were also used on the OGT   ( outgoing trunk test panel) in some crossbar COs.    But I've been told they were never made

Whoever told you that never read the Bell System Practices that are in the TCI Library.

rdelius

Have one of those plastic F1* handsets .Photos are on the forum somewhere.Might dig it out.

RAW302

Item 151129582335 on Ebay now states:  "listing ended by seller because there was an error in the listing." 

The new listing of the same phone is now item 161114192728.

I compared both listings and the error in 151129582335 was a "price: US $249.00" shown under the starting bid of US $9.99.  The new listing does not have a price. 

Rachel

Rachel