News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Windows 10

Started by Babybearjs, August 07, 2015, 01:01:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I've upgraded to windows 10 and think its going to be a nice OS. anyone else feel the same? who's going to be able to use it within they're telephone control system?? (C*Net, Etc.)
John

wds

So - is it nice compared to Windows 8, or compared to Windows 7?  I plan to upgrade my windows 8 machine (only one thankfully) as I hate 8, but I still plan to leave my windows 7 machines alone for now. 
Dave

TelePlay

Quote from: wds on August 07, 2015, 07:38:19 AM
. . . but I still plan to leave my windows 7 machines alone for now.

That was my thinking, wait for about 6 months or so so the yet undiscovered bugs get worked out before making the change over from 7 to 10. Am I wrong in that?

twocvbloke

I tried Win10 the other night and over the two hours I had it on my laptop (on its spare HDD that had a Lenovo-branded Win7 Pro OEM installation on it), I spent more time trying to get things working than I did testing it and trying it out due to driver issues and incompatibilities, so got sick of it and restored the 7 installation, 10 needs a few more months development before it can be used on a daily basis...

wds

yes, I would be skeptical that all the 3rd party vendors have updated their drivers, so I would wait also.  Microsoft is in a hurry to get people to download windows 10 so people will start buying computers again. 
Dave

unbeldi

I gave up wasting my time with Windows years ago. There are some features by which it excelled (notice the past tense) over the alternatives, but it just doesn't justify the enormous time that so many people and professionals have to spend with it. If it weren't for Microsoft, personal and business computing would be light-years ahead, I have been saying for probably 20 years.

I do still run Windows XP in virtual machines for things that required it, and frankly it runs extremely well as a VM and that's were it's going to stay for me.

Sargeguy

What happened to Windows 9?
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

unbeldi

compubit

Quote from: Sargeguy on August 07, 2015, 11:37:17 AM
What happened to Windows 9?

One story I've heard (and it makes sense, since I have some background in programming): there's a lot of legacy code out the that checks for Windows 95 or Windows 98 by querying the Operating System and looking for "Windows 9" in the first 9 characters returned by the query. By bypassing Windows 9, Microsoft will ensure that the old code doesn't expect the old OS, when the latest is being run.

(Wow - I just realized Windows 95 is 20+ years old - I go back to DOS 3.3 and Windows 2.1...   Microsoft practically gave away Word, Excel, and PowerPoint, since WordPerfect, Lotus 1-2-3, and Harvard Graphics; Windows came with the Microsoft Mouse for a time... and 16 MB stick of RAM ran $400 - I still have one...)

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

twocvbloke

I've heard the 9x-check theory, but it doesn't really hold true as the OS is referred to as 9x by name, but in the code, it's referred to by it's version number (E.G. my install of Win7 Pro is 6.1.7601, so it's technically Windows 6.1, not 7!!)... :)

Babybearjs

I checked at my local Walmart for windows 10.... they don't have it yet. $119.00 for windows 8.1 and 199.00 for windows 8 pro... but no 10.... wonder if they are even going to sell it?? does anyone know who is going to sell it locally? (target, sears, kmart, etc.) I may need to buy a copy for later....
John

TelePlay

Quote from: Babybearjs on August 08, 2015, 12:25:34 AM
I checked at my local Walmart for windows 10.... they don't have it yet. $119.00 for windows 8.1 and 199.00 for windows 8 pro... but no 10.... wonder if they are even going to sell it?? does anyone know who is going to sell it locally? (target, sears, kmart, etc.) I may need to buy a copy for later....

Seems to be two different versions for sale at Amazon, along with a book on how to use it . . .  :o

The two versions, the top is a 3-6 week delivery on a flash drive, and with both having less than 3 stars review.

I keep getting a pop up box on my PC saying it's a free upgrade, at least for now.

Greg G.

Quote from: twocvbloke on August 07, 2015, 08:30:17 AM
I tried Win10 the other night and over the two hours I had it on my laptop (on its spare HDD that had a Lenovo-branded Win7 Pro OEM installation on it), I spent more time trying to get things working than I did testing it and trying it out due to driver issues and incompatibilities, so got sick of it and restored the 7 installation, 10 needs a few more months development before it can be used on a daily basis...

I'm about ready to do the same thing.  And it took a good 3 hours to install, not 1 like they said!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

compubit

I'm leery about installing an OS on the first version (before the first set of patches is out...).

My other consideration is how compatible the OS is with my hardware.  Since Windows 7 is 1 (and a half) versions ago, there may be an issue with hardware drivers...

Jim
A phone phanatic since I was less than 2 (thanks to Fisher Price); collector since a teenager; now able to afford to play!
Favorite Phone: Western Electric Trimline - it just feels right holding it up to my face!

twocvbloke

There shouldn't be any hardware issues, so long as the hardware manufacturers actually bother to create or adapt drivers to work with windows10 (they've had long enough to do so having had access to the Win10 preview for about a year!!), but I'd give it a few months before trying again to give the manufacturers some time to make legacy hardware compatible, as there's a lot of capable computers out there that can run 10, but the drivers aren't there yet (assuming they ever will be!)... ::)