News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hello from Vancouver Island

Started by seanenns, April 07, 2016, 11:23:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seanenns

Hi everyone, thanks for welcoming me into the forum.

Bit of a story, we take our son to the thrift store, often two to three times weekly. Couple of the stores here have auctions for some of the higher end items.

Couple of weeks back, we were in, and I saw what I thought at the time was a Bakelite rotary phone. Nothing fancy, just something I'd bring home for a bit of retro fun in the office. I ended up winning the auction, and at the time, while I thought $40 was a bit high, you only live once.

I picked up my phone today, wrapped up in a plastic bag. I thought to myself when I took it from the clerk "boy, that's heavy." I figured maybe they threw a few lead weights in for my trouble.

I opened the bag, bit like a kid at Christmas, and checked out my new find. It had the strangest cord coming out of the back, with three wires: black, yellow, and red.

"Weird." I thought. I looked underneath, and saw a plate that says "Monophone." A quick Google search led me to think that what I have is an American Electric Model 40.

I look forward to being part of this forum, and restoring my new phone to its former glory.

Phonesrfun

Welcome to the forum!

You will find lots of help here, and an AE 40 for $40 is a pretty good deal. 
-Bill G

AE_Collector

Welcome to the forum Seanenns! Where on Vancouver Island are you?

I am in Coquitlam over on the "Continent"! Retired BC Tel / Telus employee....

Terry

HarrySmith

Welcome!
Be careful. These things cause "phoneitis". It is an incurable, progressive disease. Next thing you will want an older one or maybe some colors or a different manufacturer. Maybe some special tools or a phone book. It goes on & on!
You have found the best forum on the net. Great people with tons of knowledge & experience they are willing to share. Good luck!
PS- We love pictures!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

seanenns

Quote from: AE_Collector on April 08, 2016, 12:38:09 PM
Welcome to the forum Seanenns! Where on Vancouver Island are you?

Thanks! I live in Nanaimo. Freelance writer and web developer.

seanenns

Quote from: HarrySmith on April 08, 2016, 12:51:51 PM
Welcome!
Be careful. These things cause "phoneitis". It is an incurable, progressive disease. Next thing you will want an older one or maybe some colors or a different manufacturer. Maybe some special tools or a phone book. It goes on & on!
You have found the best forum on the net. Great people with tons of knowledge & experience they are willing to share. Good luck!
PS- We love pictures!

Thanks! I honestly thought it was a plain, old rotary phone when I bid. I'm realizing now it's this totally unexpected and awesome treasure, and completely doable project.

I'll upload a photo as soon as I can get a few nice detail shots.

AE_Collector

Quote from: seanenns on April 08, 2016, 01:37:08 PM

Thanks! I live in Nanaimo. Freelance writer and web developer.

Duhh, you did say that already...maybe in the AE 40 topic. Have friends just north of you in Parksville who we visit every year.

Terry

oldguy

Welcome Seanenns, as said we like pictures: before, during & after restoration. Oh ya & any other reason you can think of. If your cat or dog is on your work bench walking by your phone project, then we get a picture of them too. You will have fun & gain a lot of knowledge here. Maybe not from me but most of these guys know a lot, I am learning.
Gary

dsk

Welcome to the forum, and YES! you got yourselves a great phone.  I have got one to Norway, the design is pretty special, and deemed to be the best by my family. :-)  The circuit inside is pretty well designed too, and mine has a great quality of sound in both directions (related to the age) I prefer to use this before any other telephone at home.

dsk

flybynyte

I'm a noob here also,...welcome aboard.  Pictures soon I hope....

Mr. Bones

Welcome seanenns!

You've got yourself a great start with an AE40! Personally, I think they're among the most stylish things ever created by Man. 8)

Oh, yeah... like they probably told you, "We Wants Pictures!" ;D

Best regards!
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus