News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Hint re: Unravelling Cloth Cords

Started by DavePEI, April 27, 2014, 07:45:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

I just wanted to pass along a hint I have used to prevent cords from un-ravelling further until a replacement can be found.... In some cases, this will suffice for a permanent fix if the damage isn't too bad previously.

Around the un-ravelling area, place a few drops of crazy glue. It will seep into the threads, locking them in place, fusing the cord covering and preventing further un-ravelling.

If the damage is near the end of a cord, wrap matching colour thread around the damaged area until the damaged area is covered then apply a few drops of Crazy Glue on it to hold it in place.

Note: This will slightly darken the cord at point of application.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Scotophor

If this type of repair is something you find yourself doing often, there is a better product to use. Sold in fabric stores such as JoAnn, also available from Amazon.com, it's called "Fray-Check". It dries flexible rather than stiff and brittle like cyanoacrylate super glues. It may also have less tendency to darken the fabric.
Name: A.J.   Location: LAPNCAXG, EDgewood 6

Matilo Telephones

For fraying at the ends I often use heat shrink tubing. Please mind that phones in my region almost always have a piece of rubber sleeve at the end to prevent wear and tear at the point where the cord enters the handset or housing. So fraying at the ends can be repaired by pulling the cord a little inside the rubber sleeve to cover the damage.

There is even a kind that has a woven texture, so that may camouflage fraying very well.

I use it for semi permanent repairs. But I often just make a new cord myself. Especially for customers, when the repair has to be durable.

Groeten,

Arwin

Check out my telephone website: http://www.matilo.eu/?lang=en

And I am on facebook too: www.facebook.com/matilosvintagetelephones