News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Seller invoiced higher price after auction end

Started by FABphones, December 11, 2018, 04:25:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FABphones

Won a phone on an eBay auction, then the seller sent an invoice with a much higher price for shipping than that shown on the listing.

Queried it, then seller sent a second invoice, this time not as high a shipping price, but still higher than that shown on the listing.

Pointed this out to the seller, but seller just said don't you want it then, so I asked seller to cancel.

Now the seller has gone quiet, won't reply to messages and it would appear they won't cancel the purchase either. I'm guessing they are intending to leave it as is so they can raise an unpaid case.

Paying the winning bid is one thing but being invoiced extra and having to pay it or get an unpaid strike seems a bit off to me.

Anyone else experienced this?
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

LarryInMichigan

I would contact Ebay support.  They should be able to see what the auction ending price was and determine that the seller is trying to gouge you.

Larry

twocvbloke

Haven't had it recently, but several years ago, it was just a Compaq branded monitor stand I wanted for my at-the-time CRT monitor, won it fair and square for 99p, seller doubled the postage cost because they wanted more money for it, I refused & contacted ebay with the details of what the seller was doing, took a while to deal with but in the end their account was shut down...

Winning an auction as advertised is a contract agreed by both seller and buyer, if the postage is advertised as £10, then that is what the seller has to invoice for, if they change this without good reason, then they've broken the contract... :)

robert_m

HarrySmith

Agreed. Ebay has strict rules. It is all carefully worded by very expensive Lawyers, or Barristers. It is a binding legal contract for both seller & buyer.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Thanks for the replies. After reading them I contacted the seller again mentioning a couple of the above points and also reminded them that if they cancel they get their fees refunded. This morning a cancel notification was received. No message.

I took a look at the other bids. Two other bidders, both 0 feedback. All increments of 50c bids over my initial bid.

Now the seller will need to relist, and their shenanigans will be mentioned in the feedback I leave. Neutral or Neg?

HarrySmith

In a knee jerk reaction I would say negative but, you did get your money back so maybe neutral with comments about the attempted rip off.

BTW - I sold an item on eBay yesterday. I guessed at the weight when I listed it, I was wrong! After packing it ended up 4 pounds heavier than my guess. It cost me more to ship than the buyer paid but that is my fault, I am not asking the buyer to pay the difference.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

Butch Harlow

100% negative all the way. It was a failed swindle. No need for any type of politeness on your part
Butch Harlow

Doug Rose

Both feedbacks are damaging to the seller, but there is no excuse for this .....Negative all the way.

As Harry said, he made a mistake and it on him to loose money on shipping. This is what gives sellers a black eye....Doug
Kidphone

twocvbloke

When I've sold things in the past on ebay and under-estimated the postage, I just took it on the chin and lost a few quid, didn't bother me so long as they were happy with their purchase... :)

Desert Phone Guy

I usually try to ship via USPS flat rate boxes so I don't get burned on estimating the shipping.  I bought a digital scale after I sold a snare drum that cost me more to ship than I got for the auction sale.  Also, on items that don't fit in flat rate boxes, consider FedEx, especially Smart Post.  They often times are cheaper than usps when shipping cross country.

And yes I would leave a negative feedback.  The seller was doing bait and switch on the shipping fees.

Steve

Key2871

If a transaction is cancelled, I don't think feedback can be left. It happened to me recently, I wanted to leave neutral but eBay said the transaction was canceled, so I wasn't allowed to leave feedback.
I would have contacted eBay right away, because both of you were in a contract, he tried to get more. He was clearly in the wrong.
KEN

FABphones

Quote from: Desert Phone Guy on December 12, 2018, 08:44:11 AM
...And yes I would leave a negative feedback.  The seller was doing bait and switch on the shipping fees.

Steve

Bait and switch. I have never heard of that term.  :-[

My thanks to all for taking the time to reply. If I can leave feedback I will leave Neg and in the text say seller increased shipping price on invoices. Then the reason for the cancel is at least on record.

HarrySmith

Quote from: Desert Phone Guy on December 12, 2018, 08:44:11 AM
I usually try to ship via USPS flat rate boxes so I don't get burned on estimating the shipping.  I bought a digital scale after I sold a snare drum that cost me more to ship than I got for the auction sale.  Also, on items that don't fit in flat rate boxes, consider FedEx, especially Smart Post.  They often times are cheaper than usps when shipping cross country.

And yes I would leave a negative feedback.  The seller was doing bait and switch on the shipping fees.

Steve

Hi Steve,
I usually use flat rate & I have a digital scale also. This item was not my usual thing, it did not fit in flat rate boxes and I did not have a box big enough to fit it, hence the guess. I will not do that again. I only lost about $4 so it was not bad but still a learning experience!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

FABphones

Quote from: Key2871 on December 12, 2018, 09:02:20 AM
If a transaction is cancelled, I don't think feedback can be left. It happened to me recently, I wanted to leave neutral but eBay said the transaction was canceled, so I wasn't allowed to leave feedback....

I couldn't leave feedback via my laptop, but the option was available on the iPad app.
Neg left, checked it, and it is there.

Seller has relisted the phone, with the postage price that was on the second invoice.