News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wookelite? Bakewood? Carved W48.

Started by countryman, May 23, 2023, 04:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countryman

Someone must have spent many hours designing and fabricating this wooden shell, handset, cradle, everything, for a German W48 phone. The base plate is original and the instrument is working according to the description.
I am not the seller, nor am I going to buy for the asked price.
Beautiful craftmanship, but very hard to find any market for such a piece.
https://www.kleinanzeigen.de/s-anzeige/altes-telefon-w48/2450237207-173-2868

RDPipes

As a hobbyist that craves to stay busy with a shop full of tools I can see this as a labor
of love and certainly something to keep one busy and out of trouble and off the couch for a good
while. Not my cup o tea but, I can see it was crafted very well and considering the time that went into it
I can imagine that its value is pretty close to the asking price if it were in US dollars. Sadly even when
I was making smoking pipes one never gets much for their labor.

AL_as_needed

Thats beautiful and looks to be a very accurate recreation in terms of the shape and dimensions. Not an easy task getting the compound curves just right. Maybe a 500 would have been easier  ;D

Labor, specifically skilled labor, is something that is sadly over-looked and under-valued these days. True carpenters and machinists have been supplanted by cheap goods made to be replaceable, not reliable.
TWinbrook7

countryman

I wonder if it was actually carved the traditional way or if it was machined using a computer controlled mill?

FABphones

Quote from: countryman on May 24, 2023, 04:00:56 AM...or if it was machined using a computer controlled mill?

Repro style wooden phones have been around for quite some time and as far as I am aware are production manufactured, not hand crafted (of course there will be the exception).

There are quite a few different versions by several manufacturers, a few examples attached.

:)
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

countryman

The upper right is a Swiss made "Trub" design phone. They're pretty rare and usually fetch a good price. The lower right IIRC was distributed by a German trading firm and was probably made in East Asia. The left one ? ? ?, I personally have this woody

tubaman

I have a boxed Trub but as it's pulse dialling it's not as practical as it could be nowadays.