News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Bought a 211 or 212 with a 685 subset

Started by ka1axy, May 25, 2023, 05:54:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ka1axy

As the proud new owner of a 211 (or 212) with a G handset, and with a 685A subset coming (ouch!) from eBay, I thank you for this.

poplar1

Quote from: ka1axy on May 25, 2023, 05:54:58 PMAs the proud new owner of a 211 (or 212) with a G handset, and with a 685A subset coming (ouch!) from eBay, I thank you for this.

Is yours marked G7? Does it have a chrome hook and G1 handset? If so, it is a 212L.
Here is a diagram of a 212L from BSP Section C38.357 i2 in TCI Library.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

ka1axy

Quote from: poplar1 on May 25, 2023, 07:12:48 PMIs yours marked G7? Does it have a chrome hook and G1 handset? If so, it is a 212L.
Here is a diagram of a 212L from BSP Section C38.357 i2 in TCI Library.

- "G7" - Yes
- Chrome hook - Yes
- G1 handset - Yes (with glued transmitter cap)

So, it is a 212L, and it has seen some use. The (well worn) metal fingerwheel had been bent, but I was able to put it between two blocks of hardwood in a vise and straighten it. The number plate looked pretty rough, but cleaned right up and looks very nice now. Unfortunately the dial card and holder had been removed, so I have no idea where it used to live (I wish Goodwill wouldn't do that). I think I'll leave it with the "patina". I'm going to mount it at "grandkid height".

Dated III-68 inside, 6A dial, dated 3-68.

I don't think the handset is original, the receiver is dated 5-16-58. I can't get the transmitter side loose (went as hard as I dared with a strap wrench), so I assume it's glued.

Thanks for the ID help. Need to do the plywood board thing and get it all wired up. I already had the BSP :-) which is why I bought a 685 subset off eBay. I always though these Spacesavers were kinda cute and minimalist. Photos when I finish.

HarrySmith

Do you have any pictures? We would love to see it.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

ka1axy

Photo as soon as I get it mounted :-)

Which brings me to the topic of mounting screw (phone to L-bracket) threads.

UPDATE: They *are* 10-24, but three of the four threaded holes in the housing were mangled. Guess which one I *didn't* try? Thanks to my late FIL, I have a set of taps, and was able to clean up the three holes that were mangled.

ka1axy

Image of the 212L and 685A subset. Haven't figured out where it's going yet.  It dials, talks and rings. Connection diagrams were spot on. Absolutely no issues configuring or wiring it.

I realise the handset cord is supposed to go through the mousehole at the bottom of the housing. It's at the top for convenience while I messed with the mounting holes...