News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Home Security and 25 pair wiring!

Started by Babybearjs, June 03, 2023, 03:58:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I am so glad I went with the 25 pair cabling when I setup my phone system.... I have been able to add security cameras to my setup for home security and patch them into the 25 pair wiring! I have a 8 Channel DVR sitting on my ethernet switch and everything is working like its suppose to. now I'm just waiting for the parts to finish my project! (BNC Balun connectors and the rest of the cameras.... ) has anyone ever done this also? it sure is nice to be able to do cameras and use existing wiring instead of buying the cabling separate!
John

ChrisW6ATV

I have used those baluns for CCTV cameras, but only with Cat 5/6 cables and only with one or two cameras through a Cat 5/6 cable.

I will be surprised if you do not have some interference problems with everything going through a 25-pair cable. Either video crosstalk among the cameras, or noise in the phone signals, or both. Very cool if it does work well, though. Let us know what you get once you start installing things.

Babybearjs

No interference on my system... pictures come through nice and clear! records excelent! even on CAT3 cabling the system works fine!
John

ChrisW6ATV

OK, good to hear that. Thank you for the follow-up report.

Robert Gift

Would there not be interference and crosstalk from all of those unshielded conductors in close proximity?
How thick is a 25-pair cable?  22-gauge wires?
I'd take an educated guess but am unqualified.
In paramediclass, doctor asked me signs of Alzheimers.  "I forget.", I answered.

Lighted Princess® telephones are our favorites!

To ensure an emergent transport call, I need only:
- take first sip of beer when eating pizza
- start shampooing in the shower
- pull bed covers over and get warm and cozy
- begin my OCD oil change.  (Remove oil plug to drain overnight.)

Kellogg Kitt

Quote from: Babybearjs on August 14, 2023, 02:34:21 PMeven on CAT3 cabling the system works fine!

I have been pleasantly surprised by the capabilities of cat 3 cable.

My house was wired in the 1990s with 4 pair cat 3, with the expectation that it would be used for telephone service.  In 2010, AT&T installed U-Verse internet, phone, and TV.  For the TV service, the technician used 2 pairs of the in-place Cat 3, running from the gateway box, up to the cross connect box in the attic, and back down to the TV location in another room, a distance about 100 feet, more or less.  It worked beautifully for multiple streams of HDTV.

Wade

TelePlay

Quote from: Robert Gift on August 15, 2023, 11:50:08 PMWould there not be interference and crosstalk from all of those unshielded conductors in close proximity?

Twisted pairs

Babybearjs

no, because the pairs are from the Violet group. at the end of the line....
John

TelePlay

Quote from: Babybearjs on August 21, 2023, 06:53:35 PMno, because the pairs are from the Violet group. at the end of the line....

What does that mean? All of your posts say 25 pair twisted. Ah, never mind. I'll stay confused.

ChrisW6ATV

In a USA/Bell-standard 25-pair cable, the pairs are in five groups of five color combinations. White plus blue, orange, green, brown, and slate (gray) are the first set, followed by sets with red, black, yellow, and violet plus those five colors. Pairs with violet plus blue/orange/green/brown/slate are physically on the opposite side of the bundle from the white ones, so that may help to reduce crosstalk or other issues.

ka1axy

Quote from: Kellogg Kitt on August 16, 2023, 09:02:45 PMI have been pleasantly surprised by the capabilities of cat 3 cable.

My house was wired in the 1990s with 4 pair cat 3, with the expectation that it would be used for telephone service.  In 2010, AT&T installed U-Verse internet, phone, and TV.  For the TV service, the technician used 2 pairs of the in-place Cat 3, running from the gateway box, up to the cross connect box in the attic, and back down to the TV location in another room, a distance about 100 feet, more or less.  It worked beautifully for multiple streams of HDTV.

When I built my house in 93, I had 2 home runs of CAT3, and one of coax to most of the rooms. The CAT3 was free from work...leftovers after some experiments. It comes down to four 66 blocks, and the original idea was that one run would be for computer and the other for phone.

It works fine for gigabit Ethernet, since the runs are all less than 100 ft. Even through the 66 blocks. I used it to put wireless access points where I needed them, connecting back to the router and the ONT, which are located near the 66 blocks. When I built my basement office during COVID, I added a bunch more terminations, but used CAT5 and an RJ patch panel.

I have a number of analog phones, so I took the advice of this forum and picked up a Panasonic mini-PBX. That's wired in as well, and the 66 blocks now have harmonica adapters on them, so everything uses modular connectors. I can reconfigure any outlet for data, voice, or...whatever can run down 4 pairs. I do have an analog security camera system, so I might order some baluns and give it a try.

Our house was originally wired (in 1971) with 6 pair cat3 and years ago I used 2 pairs of a segment for 100mb ethernet and it runs fine. I eventually ran cat6 to a few rooms. But I still use one cat3 segment for ethernet where it would be quite difficult to replace.
I recently ran a few segments of 25 and a segment of 50 pair that I salvaged from an office remodel.

ka1axy

Quote from: 5415551212 on September 16, 2023, 04:57:36 PMsalvaged from an office remodel.

Heh. Almost all of my hardware is discards from various offices. It pays to be friends with the telephone & IT people!

ChrisW6ATV

Quote from: ka1axy on September 19, 2023, 06:49:41 AMIt pays to be friends with the telephone & IT people!
As a telephone/IT person myself, I always had to resist those temptations. But, I knew what to look for at flea markets (or on Ebay). If it is good enough for my employers, it is good enough for me!  :)