News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Another "what's this?" - Flash or Link Button on 2500 Type Phone

Started by Bill, April 02, 2012, 01:17:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill

What is that 13th button on the lower right of the dial? Sorry I don't have a better pic.

Bill

Greg G.

That's the "Any" key, as in "Press Any Key to continue"!
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

AE_Collector

I would guess that it is a "Flash" key or "Link" in Nortel terminology. I think that some of the Nortel 2500 type sets had a flash button that also had a lamp inside for message waiting. Mainly used on PABX's.

Terry

twocvbloke

Yep, it's a Flash button (or Recall in British words), on more modern phones like that one it's a Timed-Break recall (equivalent to dialling a "1" on a rotary or tapping the hookswitch), which puts a call on hold on a line set up for such a thing or on a phone system... :)

There's also an Earth-Loop recall which grounds the line to do the same thing, that's for much older PABX and PAX systems though, and is the most common switch in a GPO 706/746's case by the handset... :)

Bill

Thanks, guys. I had a chance to buy it, but I'm not really into modern phones. This one doesn't sound very exciting, so I guess I'll pass.

Briny gets the prize for best answer, though!

Bill

twocvbloke

I'd say if the price was right, it'd be worth a little bit of tinkering time, just to see how that Flash button is wired up, even if it ends up hiding in a cupboard afterwards... :D

I wouldn't mind it myself, but finances at the moment say no... :-\

AE_Collector

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 02, 2012, 02:38:01 PM
I'd say if the price was right, it'd be worth a little bit of tinkering time,

I think it would be an option to have it so one push would inform the chauffer to bring the 2CV round front for a drive in the country......wouldn't it??

Terry

twocvbloke

Quote from: AE_collector on April 02, 2012, 03:15:45 PMI think it would be an option to have it so one push would inform the chauffer to bring the 2CV round front for a drive in the country......wouldn't it??

Terry

Nooooo, 2CVs aren't for Chauffeurs, they're for real people who like driving round corners at 45 degrees of lean.... :D

Owain

Quote from: twocvbloke on April 02, 2012, 02:06:49 PM
Yep, it's a Flash button (or Recall in British words), on more modern phones like that one it's a Timed-Break recall (equivalent to dialling a "1" on a rotary or tapping the hookswitch), which puts a call on hold on a line set up for such a thing or on a phone system... :)

The American Flash is longer than the British TBR, so using an American phone with Flash on a British exchange line will usually disconnect the call.

Most British PBX until the 1990s used Earth Recall, the Minimaster 3 didn't use Recall at all but used Lop Disconnect 1 (it only used LD, didn't recognise MF).  For some reason there have been about 3 Minimasters going on ebay recently with quite a lot of interest; I though Panasonics had taken over the enthusiast PBX market.

twocvbloke

Ah, I thought Flash and TB-Recall were the same, another one of them differences between what should be a similar system... :D

As for Minimasters, I've seen them appear and sell for silly money, another forum I used to frequent had many phone collectors who stated they're the best thing since sliced bread for LD phones, so are popular with collectors, back-garden railway enthusiasts and other hobbies that use telephones at the heart of them, dunno why, unless the Minimasters are just bomb-proof or something... ???

Personally I would get a Panasonic KX-Txxx system, I did buy one last year (I think) but the seller decided it was a better idea to keep both my money and the system, I got a refund thanks to ebay's buyer protection system, but lost the system of course, which dampened my spirits back then... ::)

gpo706

Persevere, at least you got your money back 2CV.

A Pana PBX will be the best phone accessory you could wish for,

Well, perhaps except for a Strowger exchange...
"now this should take five minutes, where's me screwdriver went now..?"

AE_Collector

I prefer my Hitachi PBX. GUARANTEED it can serve more phones than a Panasonic!

Here's the thread called "PBX Recomendation" where I posted it originally.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=2124.msg34273#msg34273

twocvbloke

Yeah, somehow I don't think there'd be enough room in my bedroom for that Hitachi system, or a Strowger system, got room for the Nortel and a Panasonic though, but I don't want the Nortel now, just a Panasonic...  :D

AE_Collector

I know someone (he's on here occasionally) who would like that Nortel Norstar phone you have if you aren't overly fond of it. They never offered that model in N America. I'll mail you the Hitachi (collect) as a trade.

Terry

twocvbloke

I think I'll pass on that one....  :D

Not to mention the system would need a different firmware cartridge so it has the right ring cadences, and the power supply replacing (if that's possible) to change it from 240v to 120v, and postage from the UK would be painful too I'm sure....  :D