News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Aines/Sperry 250SSP Inductive Probe Wiring Help

Started by BigBird0000, August 15, 2018, 10:59:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigBird0000

I found this in a box of old telephone stuff I got off of CraigsList. It appears to be in fairly good condition inside, except: One of the battery connectors for the 9 volt is missing.

I am assuming that the yellow goes to the metal piece shown in the picture of the outside of the instrument (Image 5 clip.jpg).

Are the white and black wires for the battery? I think I can fit a 9 volt battery clip in, if I remove the existing contact, or if I can find a replacement for the missing battery contact.

Any help would be appreciated, I hate throwing things out, or tossing in a parts pile if it can be saved.

RB

Blk n Yellow shud be batt.
the metal plate has broken off.
remove the other metal plate, and install a 9volt cap. "where the metal plates were".
then it will snap on to new batt.
Or, just replace the broken plate, and no need to modify it.

BigBird0000

So the white wire goes to the metal connector shown in clip.jpg?
Is that metal connector an optional connector to ground?

Jim Stettler

Quote from: BigBird0000 on August 15, 2018, 12:57:59 PM
So the white wire goes to the metal connector shown in clip.jpg?
Is that metal connector an optional connector to ground?
The metal "tabs" are for connecting  a buttset. You listen for the toner thru the buttset.  Old probes only had the buttset connection. New probes usually have a speaker, but will typically have a buttset connection point.
To verify that you have located the "toned" pair, short the pair. If the tone disappears on a short, then you are on the right pair.
Jim S.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.

RB

so thats wut the b1 n b2 are for? butt set connect.
looked just like batt tabs???
how did you connect them?

Jim Stettler

Quote from: RB on August 16, 2018, 09:11:05 AM
so thats wut the b1 n b2 are for? butt set connect.
looked just like batt tabs???
how did you connect them?

The butt connect tabs that I referred to are the ones shown in the first photo (exterior ) photo (clip.jpg).
I think the tabs on the board connect to the exterior tabs but I don't know for sure.
If you look at the photo (clip.jpg) you can see  exterior metal tabs separated by plastic. The buttset clips there and completes the circuit.
You live, You learn,
You die, you forget it all.