News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Soft Plastic Ivory 500 from eBay!

Started by WEBellSystemChristian, May 05, 2016, 10:51:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WEBellSystemChristian

Remember how I said I seem to wind up getting 500s in pairs (2 of every color)? When I got my last Ivory, I said to myself; "At least I have no reason to get another Ivory!" Well, I couldn't let one with a matching straight cord go...

I saw this one in a lot in an auction for $75 starting bid. I did something that some of you will frown upon, I offered the seller $200 for the whole lot. :-[ It sounds like quite a bit, but since it's a lot of 8, it's actually only $25 per phone. The seller gladly accepted my offer, and now I have a beautiful Ivory with an Ivory straight cord on the way! ;D

The other phones include several NOS ITT 2500s, which would make great daily drivers! There are also 3 heavily refurbed Beige 500s, which I can use for parts, and an AE80E in White. If any AE collectors want it, make me an offer, or it's off to eBay!

FYI, I will be selling a bunch of phones this weekend to pay this off, including some from this lot when it comes.

Until it does, PICTURES!! ;)

www.ebay.com/itm/252377598335
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

LarryInMichigan

The early soft plastic ivory 500 I sold recently went for $454 (forum link).

Larry

podor

Does the straight cord add that much value? I picked up a 100% numbers matching ivory for a buy it now offer of $65. I think it was re-listed at least twice before I grabbed it. It's in fantastic shape (thanks if it was from a forum member!).

LarryInMichigan

Quote from: podor on May 05, 2016, 09:54:18 PM
Does the straight cord add that much value? I picked up a 100% numbers matching ivory for a buy it now offer of $65. I think it was re-listed at least twice before I grabbed it. It's in fantastic shape (thanks if it was from a forum member!).

I think that it was a combination of the straight cord and a few early 500 features which were discontinued shortly after the phone was made.  Collectors like rare, early things. 

Larry

WEBellSystemChristian

The lot arrived today (thankfully everything was well packed)! The 3 ITT 2500s are indeed NOS, and don't look like they were ever used! The 2 Beige 500s are a different story, made up of at least 6 or 7 different phones, which I can use for parts.

The creme de la creme Ivory is in terrific shape; the cord is supple and flexible with like-new conductors, the plastics will only need an hour bleaching at the longest and are free of any cracks or major gouges, and the 4-55 base is near perfect!

I'm thrilled with this purchase! ;D
Christian Petterson

Pourme

That's a great piece, Christian!...Look at those foot pads...Can't wait to see the after pics!..
Benny

Panasonic 308/616 Magicjack service

WEBellSystemChristian

Here it is all polished up!

I noticed that the plastics were slightly yellowed, so I dipped them in a Bleach/water mixture for a few hours. The cord didn't change color while in bleach, even overnight, so I used peroxide to bring it back to Ivory. It isn't perfect, but it looks a whole lot better than it did yesterday! This cord is absolutely flawless, it's even more fresh and like-new than most of my black straight cords!

I'm including a picture of how bad the cord had yellowed, the initial before pictures weren't accurate.
Christian Petterson