News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Find of the Month - June 2014

Started by AE_Collector, May 29, 2014, 01:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Find of the Month - June 2014   (ONE VOTE EACH)

dsk's NIB Palco 120B payphone for $200
2 (7.1%)
WesternElectricBen's 1950 Western Electric 500 given to him for free from a good friend
8 (28.6%)
Fabius' unusual Princess 702B found in a Mt. Pleasant, Michigan antique shop for $20
1 (3.6%)
Dave F's 1965 Western Electric 500 CD in nearly mint mirror-gold finish found on eBay for $95 + $14.17 S/H
13 (46.4%)
tell302man's 202 with matching cloth straight handset cord that he found in Florida for $40
4 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 28

AE_Collector

Post your "Find of the Month" for June 2014 here.

A "Find of the Month" is an item that you acquired within the last month or so that you are particulatly excited about either because of its rarity, the difficulty you had in trying to find one for your collection or the exceptional "deal" you got on it etc.

Please pick your best "Find" to submit for the month limiting your entries to one Phone item OR One "Find" that might include multiple items. If you have already entered for the month and come up with something even better either submit your new find indicating that it replaces your previous entry OR you can enter your new Find for next months contest.

TelePlay has grabbed pictures of all of the "Find of the Month" winners since we started this back in 2010 and he has put them into albums on PhotoBucket. Thanks John.

To check them out, click --> HERE <--

Terry

Sargeguy

C'mon, how about some finds from Lancaster???
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

dsk

Now I'm ready to nominate my payphone.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=11846.0

As far as I know, we have no strict rules for whats needed to nominate, except for getting it the last month. So Why?

Yes it became a little expensive, and no its not a rotary and it is not to rare..
The reason: I cant remember last time a telephone gave me so much joy!

I got a completely unknown functionality, i pretty nice design, (compared to local payphones) and I got it working as you told me they used to work. I have been able to adjust the coin validator to accept Norwegian coins. (Without making irreversible changes) In addition I may justify the $200    by shopping from an organization helping people who not have much.
I have learned lots, and I may even know enough to help others to make a controller and put up a working payphone.

:) :) :) :)
dsk

WesternElectricBen

Up for nomination: I have a 1950 Western Electric 500, mostly original given to me from a good friend.

I restored it and added a period correct jack to a modular end so it could be connected up. A very interesting phone with all of the older interior design aspects, later changed.

Link to previous discussion: http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12099.msg128177#msg128177

Thanks for voting,
Ben

Fabius

I'd like to submit this unusual Princess 702B. The base is dated 7-69. Notice that the shell has two openings of different sizes on the right side of the back. This is a replacement shell the repairman could use to replace a cracked shell without carrying on the truck a shell for each model. The shell is dated C-65. Here is some information, thanks to Pual-F, on how the different holes were used:

•On an early 701B the cord exits thru the left notch.
•On a 711 the cord exits thru the right notch.
•On a late 701B the cord exits thru the right notch.

On this 702B the line cord enters the usual way for a 702B which is on the left where the post to tie down the line cord is part of the base frame.

Also see the topic(Princess with Extra Holes) currently under General Discussions.
http://tinyurl.com/oek64c2

This princess was found in a Mt Pleasant, Michigan antique shop for $20.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

Shovelhead

How about a rotary Stowaway in Mediterranean Oak? A Father's Day gift from my daughters and sons-in-laws.

No discernable scratches on the plastic and wood looks almost perfect. Dated 11/75

TelePlay

Terry (AE_Collector) did a very good job of describing find of the month candidates in a post at the top of the Find of the Month topic with a discussion of that description following his initial post by several informative replies.

Dave F

I'll nominate this outstanding 1965 W.E. 500CD in nearly mint mirror-gold finish.  This is one of two gold sets I recently found on eBay.  To see more, click HERE.

DF

edit: Price was $95 + S/H

WesternElectricBen

How much did you give for that Dave F?

Ben

Dave F

Ben,
Quote from: WesternElectricBen on June 20, 2014, 12:41:51 PM
How much did you give for that Dave F?

Ben

Ben,

Oops!  I edited my post and added the price.

Dave

TelePlay

I will nominate tell302man's 202 with matching cloth straight handset cord that he found in Florida for $40.

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=12201.msg128948#msg128948

TelePlay

Once again it's time to vote for your favorite "Find" from June 2014. With just 5 phones nominated, only one vote (1) from each member voting will be allowed in this month's contest.

This month, we have interesting collection of some nice phones so give it a bit of a thought and vote for the one that you most would have liked to find yourself!

Good luck to all of this months contestants!

TelePlay

The voting started off strong with a bit more than 20 members picking their favorite in the court first few days but it's now been a few days more with no new votes.

I know these are another 10 or so, maybe more, members who haven't voted for their favorite so just a reminder to do so over the next few days.

I realize the holiday weekend had a lot to do with the inactivity so I'm posting this reminder to let everyone know the contest is still open and could use a few more votes.

Thanks to all who have and will participate.

AE_Collector

Okay, looks as though it is fairly decisive this month. All great finds but the "mirror gold finish" on Dave F's 1965 Western Electric 500 CD was irresistible to the most of us this month!

Congratulations Dave and thanks to everyone who nominated a Find of the Month as well as thanks to everyone who voted.

Terry

WesternElectricBen