"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Wire tacker / stapler

Started by Mr. Bones, February 14, 2013, 12:38:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Bones

Good morning!

I am soliciting advice on purchasing a wire tacker / stapler, in order to install station wire in my home.

All input is welcomed, though I would especially like to hear input from former installers, etc., who used these  every day.

The local Home Depot has two to choose from; the Arrow T-25, and the Gardner-Bender MSG-301.

There were two reviews for the Arrow; both said it was very prone to frequent jamming. None for the Gardner-Bender.

Thanks, in advance!

Terrence
Sláinte!
   Mr. Bones
      Rubricollis Ferus

Phonesrfun

When I get home, I can look to see what brand mine is.  I think I got it at Graybar Electric about 15 years ago.  I am not a heavy user of it, but I have had no problems with it either.  It has the rounded-top staple and is made for tacking inside wire, such as cat 3 and cat 5.
-Bill G

Weco355aman

The arrow has beeen around for avery long time.
That's the most common one that is used by telco's.
I have about 8 or so of them. If you take good care of them you will have happy results. You may post a request for a used on on the listserver. The t25 will work well for 4 Pair IW, The T-18 is for the old 4 cond Wire.
Phil

Doug Rose

When I first started in the trade, I received a B Box, inside had two Arrow staplers. Still have that B Box and still have those Arrow Staplers. Still work like a champ. Most everything else got left in a ceiling or "borrowed" by another tech. This Summer Janet found one of my old tools, a wand (picked up the signal from a tone generator, great for chasing pairs) with ROSE engraved in it. Hopefully it was a ceiling find....Doug
Kidphone

AE_Collector

Speaking of staple guns and leaving tools behind on the job, I went through a phase where I kept losing my stapler and even with going back to the location I could never find it. After numerous replacements (fortunately they were easy for us to get then) I finally got over it and now I haven't lost one in years. All Arrow T25's here.

Terry

Phonesrfun

Mine is also an Arrow T25, and as I mentioned earlier, no jamming has ever occurred, but I don't use it all that often.
-Bill G

AE_Collector

When they jamb it is just a matter of diagnosing the reason. Bent spring laded thingy, bent or mangled staple inside, foreign object lodged in front area where handle releases "whatever" impacts staple to drive it. (Sorry for all the technical jargon!). There is a space in there for things like screws from your tool bag to find their way into.

Tear it apart and fix the problem and you are good to go again. I don't just do telephone wire with mine. I have installed close to 1200 security systems as well.

Terry

DavePEI

Quote from: Mr. Bones on February 14, 2013, 12:38:54 PM
There were two reviews for the Arrow; both said it was very prone to frequent jamming. None for the Gardner-Bender.
I have a T-18 and a T-25 Arrow, and neither has ever jammed, other than the odd mis-shot staple which needs to be picked out of the business end of the stapler. One had also to consider the availability of staples - round here, at least, Arrow T-18 and T-25 staples are the easiest to get... Because of differences in specs, an Arrow staple may not work well in another brand of stapler and vice-versa.

I have a non-telephone type arrow which I have been using for 40 years, and which still works as well as when I first bought it. That one has gone through dozens of  boxes of staples installing vapour barrier, etc., and my telephone ones at least 6 boxes each installing wire. So, I really can't see jamming a problem for any of them. Anyone having problems with jamming may be using another brand of staple.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Nick in Manitou

Arrow T-25 has worked for a long time (couple decades?) without any trouble...or maintenance.  Lots of crawling through attics, basements and out buildings.

Russ Kirk

My Arrow staplers have been almost jam free.  The only time it has jammed is when I loaded small pieces of staples - about 5 staples - instead of a full strip. When loading small pieces they sometimes don't get aligned properly.  So I classify this as operator error (loading junk) and not the fault of the stapler.   
- Russ Kirk
ATCA & TCI

poplar1

Arrow also makes light duty staplers. I think they are JT rather than T. ISTR that the Southern Bell installers/repairmen used a JT-18 for stapling JKT 4-conductor station wire. However, I have been unable to find a JT-18, although I have seen other JT models.

Has anyone seen a JT-18?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.