News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Galion earpiece volume...

Started by Will520, August 21, 2010, 12:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Will520

So I've got this 1949 North Electric Galion that I've been working on.  So far it's been coming out really well.  However, the old cloth cords are definitely going to need replacement and I've already taken those off.  However, I have one slight qualm with the phone: the earpiece volume is rather quiet, as compared to a WE500 I have.  Is there any way the volume can be made louder? Or is it set this way without any adjustment? The inside appears to be fairly clean without any corrosion on the screws, I just don't know what could be the reason.  Would a new cord improve the volume? Or are Galions supposed to be quiet?

Thanks for the help,
Will

paul-f

There are lots of potential places for volume to get lost.  You're dealing with the cords.  Make sure all the internal spring-type contacts are clean.  Sliding some thick bond paper between the contacts on the hoodswitch and dial (with each contact in the closed position) will tell you quickly whether the contacts are clean or not.  You can moisten the paper with contact cleaner to help dissolve any residue.

While you're looking at the back of the dial, make sure the shunt contacts open and close properly (e.g. don't stay partially closed when not dialing).

Internal wires may seperate from their spade tips, or old wires may have insulation breakdowns.  Screw terminals may be a bit loose.

In short, check everything!

Good luck.
Visit: paul-f.com         WE  500  Design_Line

Phonesrfun

The Galion should be just as loud as any other phone.  You could test the Galion receiver element itself by using it in place of the receiver in a 500 by holding the wires onto it and holding it up to your ear.  Just the bare receiver and not inside the handset, because the Galion receiver element will not fit inside a 500 handset.  Do that, and see if the receiver itself is working properly, which then will isolate it to either wires, the hookswitch, or the dial contacts inside the phone as the source of the problem.

I am willing to bet that the receiver element is ok.

-Bill G