News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

AE 80 Dial Help! Can't Dial Out

Started by debeaune, August 16, 2015, 05:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andre_janew

The dial might be messed up.  Parts get worn and things don't work like they are supposed to. 

Phonesrfun

I cannot see very well from the photos, but terminal #4 should have a receiver wire (in this case you have a white receiver wire because you are using a WE handset cord, but that's OK)  You should also have the red wire from the dial connected to #4.  Perhaps it is hidden and I just don't see that in the photo.  Can you confirm that the red dial wire is connected at terminal 4?
-Bill G

poplar1

Quote from: G-Man on August 19, 2015, 12:42:12 PM
Quote from: debeaune on August 19, 2015, 09:51:15 AM
Yes Gman, when I turn the dial and release, those 2 arms separate and re-connect as it pulses. They make contact in their normal state. Thank you

Ok, while listening to dialtone in the receiver, disconnect either the yellow or blue leads (terminals "1" or "11") from the dial. See if this removes the dialtone.

Debaune, I may have missed your post, but what happens when you disconnect either the yellow dial lead from 1 or the blue dial lead from 11? Do you still have dial tone?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

G-Man

QuoteGman, disconnected the yellow and black form hookswitch, then connected yellow
from dial to 10, same issue.  I do have a service that supports rotary phones,
have 3 others hooked up and working.  Sorry this is a toughy, all I can figure
is could it be the network?

With the yellow and black hookswitch leads disconnected and the yellow wire from the dial terminated directly on terminal "10" along the red linecord wire and with the ringer leads completely disconnected and without any other wires on terminal "15" the dial is directly in series with the telephone line without any other components bridging the line.

Flashing the hookswitch or dialing a digit should interrupt the line and cause dialtone to cease.

debeaune

Quote from: poplar1 on August 19, 2015, 09:34:50 PM
Quote from: G-Man on August 19, 2015, 12:42:12 PM
Quote from: debeaune on August 19, 2015, 09:51:15 AM
Yes Gman, when I turn the dial and release, those 2 arms separate and re-connect as it pulses. They make contact in their normal state. Thank you

Ok, while listening to dialtone in the receiver, disconnect either the yellow or blue leads (terminals "1" or "11") from the dial. See if this removes the dialtone.

Debaune, I may have missed your post, but what happens when you disconnect either the yellow dial lead from 1 or the blue dial lead from 11? Do you still have dial tone?

Pop, yes, the red from dial is on 4, just underneath the white.

All, very interesting discovery just now, all 3 of my AE 80 phones have the same issue.  They will not dial out. But its not my service because my WE's and SC's (all rotary) dial out without any problem.  I am truly perplexed.  Any thoughts?

Phonesrfun

Quote from: debeaune on August 20, 2015, 06:00:58 PM

All, very interesting discovery just now, all 3 of my AE 80 phones have the same issue.  They will not dial out. But its not my service because my WE's and SC's (all rotary) dial out without any problem.  I am truly perplexed.  Any thoughts?

That is interesting.  Interesting indeed.  How about checking to make sure every other phone in the house is unplugged from the service, so it's just the AE80 that is connected.  Does it work then?  Somehow this has got to be isolated.  Perhaps there is actually another offender "sucking" up all the current and leaving the AE's unable to dial.  Also, what about the jack you are currently using?  Is it somehow new to this phone or have you had others plugged into this jack that do work?  The problem could lie outside the phone itself and be part of your wiring.
-Bill G

jsowers

very interesting discovery just now, all 3 of my AE 80 phones have the same issue.  They will not dial out. But its not my service because my WE's and SC's (all rotary) dial out without any problem.  I am truly perplexed.  Any thoughts?

Have you actually tried the WE and SC phones or are you assuming they work because they once did? I ask because one day the local phone company turned off my rotary compatibility and no rotary phone would work. About two months later, as I was trying to find touch-tone phones to replace all my rotaries, they turned it back on as mysteriously as it was turned off. It's been on ever since. Very strange.
Jonathan

debeaune

Quote from: Phonesrfun on August 20, 2015, 06:10:01 PM

That is interesting.  Interesting indeed.  How about checking to make sure every other phone in the house is unplugged from the service, so it's just the AE80 that is connected.  Does it work then?  Somehow this has got to be isolated.  Perhaps there is actually another offender "sucking" up all the current and leaving the AE's unable to dial.  Also, what about the jack you are currently using?  Is it somehow new to this phone or have you had others plugged into this jack that do work?  The problem could lie outside the phone itself and be part of your wiring.

Bill, unplugged all other phones, same issue with all 3 AEs.  Even moved around to different jacks, same issue for only the 3 AEs.  I am really miffed though now it would seem the issue may not be the phone.  Just to verify, Line in is green 8 and red 10 correct? 

Phonesrfun

Well, that really is weird, if you have other phones that do work.  At this point, when you said you have Verizon as a service, is that Verzon's FIOS system or is it a legacy DC central office service?

Although if other phones, I.E. Western Electric phones will work and dial out, so should an AE.  Did you ever try taking the ringer out of the circuit?  Take one of the wires off of terminal 16 and try it then.  That will disconnect the ringer from being bridged across the line.

Also, please give more information about your service provider.  It may be relavant.

-Bill G

G-Man

Very curious, especially since, as you can see from the schematic, the dial shunt springs short the entire network while dialing, through the dial-pulse contacts. On a very long POTS line this is normally desirable since it would provide optimum supervisory range; something Automatic Electric's predominately rural exchange customers desired. 
Presumably, your Verizon service is also POTS and not delivered via a FiOs modem.

Perhaps your sevice is being delivered via an analogue subscriber carrier system where shorting the line is not desirable. Do you know how far you are located from your central office? Does the gray box on the outside wall of your house have the name of  a manufacturer* inscribed?

Does flashing the hookswitch break dialtone?

In any event, if a modem is being used, introducing a resistance of perhaps, 600-Ohms** in series to emulate a moderate length of line may solve your problem.

* Such as Siescor, AML, Reliant, GO!DIGITAL, Charles Industries, Wescom, etc.
**Experimentation may be needed to find the optimum resistance.

G-Man

Actually I would start by inserting a resistance inside of your set by leaving one side of the switchook disconnected, moving the yellow dial lead back to terminal "11" and connecting the resistor to terminals "11" and "10".

If by chance this solves your problem and assuming you are served by one, I would not call it good until you call the telephone company to replace the failing rechargeable batteries inside of the subscriber carrier terminal presumably, located on the outside of your house.

G-Man

Here is a revised schematic showing my crudely drawn resistor inserted in the circuit.

debeaune

Quote from: Phonesrfun on August 20, 2015, 06:51:56 PM
Well, that really is weird, if you have other phones that do work.  At this point, when you said you have Verizon as a service, is that Verzon's FIOS system or is it a legacy DC central office service?

Although if other phones, I.E. Western Electric phones will work and dial out, so should an AE.  Did you ever try taking the ringer out of the circuit?  Take one of the wires off of terminal 16 and try it then.  That will disconnect the ringer from being bridged across the line.

Also, please give more information about your service provider.  It may be relavant.

Its Verizon Fios, but as stated , all my other rotary phones work fine and have for years.  I did disconnect the ringer 100% and same result.  Thanks

Phonesrfun

If dial shunting of the entire line is the root of the problem, you should have exactly the same problem with a 302.  Do you have a WE 302 to try? 

PS:  I seem to remember that this problem came up a couple (or few) years ago.  Seems that the newer electronic services don't like the shunted line.
-Bill G

debeaune

Quote from: G-Man on August 20, 2015, 07:24:44 PM
Actually I would start by inserting a resistance inside of your set by leaving one side of the switchook disconnected, moving the yellow dial lead back to terminal "11" and connecting the resistor to terminals "11" and "10".

If by chance this solves your problem and assuming you are served by one, I would not call it good until you call the telephone company to replace the failing rechargeable batteries inside of the subscriber carrier terminal presumably, located on the outside of your house.

Tried resistor, only had a 700, but same effect, sorry Gman. Really a strain here, very confused on what it could be.