News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stromberg Carlson Kansas City Candlestick

Started by wds, May 16, 2013, 09:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wds

Won this nice older style Stromberg Carlson stick.  It appears to be complete except for the receiver arm.  It even has the bakelite grommets and correct base plate.  Can't decided between cleaning it up and displaying as is, or sending the parts to Dennis to be replated. 

Does anyone know what the receiver arm should look like?  I was hoping I could take the arm off of one of my Stromberg parts phone, but this arm appears to be different from the standard stick.  Any ideas?  does anyone have one of these"?
Dave

HowardPgh

Here are some pictures of my KC type Stromberg Carlson phone.
Howard

Sargeguy

I would strip the paint then polish the nickel to see how it looks before nickel plating it. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

wds

Yes, that's what I plan to do - I see nickel under the black paint, so I'll probably strip off all the paint and expose the nickel.  (winter project)  I finally got a picture of what the receiver arm looks like so I can continue my hunt for one.  A nice Ebay member sent it to me.
Dave

HarrySmith

That does not look like a piece that would be too difficult to fabricate.
Heat, bend and grind an old junk arm and drill a hole, then send to Dennis for plating. Would not be original but will work for now ;D
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

Are you volunteering?  I actually have a arm from a Connecticut intercom that fits and looks similar to a SC.  All I have to do is add the lower bracket.  Or if I can get a SC arm I can modify one of those also. 
Dave

HarrySmith

Sure! If you can send me both arms, no problem.
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

I picked up another Kansas City C/S, which needed a lot of work.  Here's some before and after pictures.
Dave

HarrySmith

WOW, excellent restoration! Looks awesome! What did you do about the arm?
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

wds

On that one, I got tired of trying to find the missing arm so I sold it, not too long ago.  One week after I sold it an arm showed up on Ebay mixed in with a bunch of other telephone parts so I bought it.  I ended up selling the arm to the person who bought my stick, so now he has a complete, very nice kansas city stick for about half what a nice one goes for.  So I found this one earlier this week, it arrived yesterday and now it's on display.  It's funny how things like that work out. 
Dave

wds

I switched out the transmitter for a nice raised letter transmitter, but the one that was on there was a nice old SC.  I ran across one similar to this on a Dean stick.  This is the first one of these I've seen in person.
Dave