News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

12-55 matching numbers W.E. 500 arrived.

Started by Dan/Panther, January 08, 2009, 02:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Markham

I generally do remove them but I understand the authenticity of the stickers.  They are as much as part of our culture as the phone itself.  I guess there has probably been advertisements for phones since the very start.  I have a couple "dial caps" that fit over the round dial card retainer rings.  Different businesses used to advertise with those.  And then there were little dialers that one could use to dial the phone.  Just a little plastic handle to hold with a ball on the end to stick in the finger hole.  And I've seen photos of candle stick type phones with advertisements on them.

Konrad

For those who do not know lets not forget it was a mortician that invented direct dialing.  He felt the operators were being bribed by other funeral homes.

HobieSport

Quote from: Konrad
For those who do not know lets not forget it was a mortician that invented direct dialing.  He felt the operators were being bribed by other funeral homes.

Really, is that true?  As a newbie I sometimes don't know when we are kidding or not.  If true I find that fascinating.  Well, sort of morbid but interesting.

bingster

Yep, 100% true.  As I recall, the town operator was a relative of one of the town's undertakers, and steered all the calls from people who needed that service to her relative's establishment.  The town's other undertaker, missing out on a lot of business, tried to eliminate the operator from the calling process.
= DARRIN =

rp2813

Years ago a friend of mine got a hold of a pristine 202 and subset.  He found out that the phone had been deployed in a funeral home.  He felt a little weird about connecting it up, knowing what the likely circumstances were every time that phone had ever rung.  I don't know whatever happened to it.
Ralph

HobieSport

In that case I think a new glow in the dark label should be manufactured:

It would say:  Mark Stevens Telephone Forum.

Otherwise call 911.

Dan/Panther

Quote from: rp2813 on January 09, 2009, 01:05:27 PM
Years ago a friend of mine got a hold of a pristine 202 and subset.  He found out that the phone had been deployed in a funeral home.  He felt a little weird about connecting it up, knowing what the likely circumstances were every time that phone had ever rung.  I don't know whatever happened to it.

Now that has potential for a short story, "The Ring Of Death".
When this phone rings, no one wants to answer it !!!!
In Theater this Februmortuary...!!

D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Kittybell

What happens if you dial Bowery1-2000?  ;) (a bad joke from a new member...forgive me!)
"Read it back to you! Are you insane?"

Dan/Panther

I was freaked out because I went in for surgery Monday, and the last two phones I bought both had Funeral stickers on them.

I have a morbid sense of humor, and if I kicked it, Oh! Well! what ya Gonna do, I wouldn't of known it, My worsat fear was Bill Cahill might try to grab my phones.....

Dan/Panther

HobieSport

Hey D/P, so we can assume your surgery went okay? :)

McHeath

He seems to be alive and kicking, that's good news.   ;D

Dan/Panther

Overall I seem tom be doing great, but parts of me hurt like heck.
D/P

Sargeguy

This was from the 1940 metal 302 that arrived today:
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

Dan/Panther

Quote from: Kittybell on January 15, 2009, 03:42:31 PM
What happens if you dial Bowery1-2000?  ;) (a bad joke from a new member...forgive me!)

Kittybell;
I don't know what the Bowerey number is,l can you enlighten my dumb ass.
D/P