News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Mistakes were made

Started by McHeath, January 27, 2009, 01:04:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

Okay, this is embarrassing.  Through a combination of neglect, greed and hysteria I got caught up in a bidding war for this phone.  What I originally expected would cost me about 35 bucks ended up costing $126.25 with shipping. 

Oy vey.

And it's rather yellowed and will require some sanding to look good.  Guess this will be my big chance to see how that wet sanding process works.

But still, 125 bucks.  Talk about a boo boo.

winkydink

Quote from: McHeath on January 27, 2009, 01:04:47 AM
Okay, this is embarrassing.  Through a combination of neglect, greed and hysteria I got caught up in a bidding war for this phone.  What I originally expected would cost me about 35 bucks ended up costing $126.25 with shipping. 

Oy vey.

And it's rather yellowed and will require some sanding to look good.  Guess this will be my big chance to see how that wet sanding process works.

But still, 125 bucks.  Talk about a boo boo.

I like the phone alot.  In a few months, the "pain" of what you spent will pass, and you'll still have the phone.

I was amazed at how well the wet sanding process worked.  If I can do it, some one with your experience, it should be a snap!

bingster

I agree with winkydink.  I've overspent on several items of various descriptions over the years, and I can honestly say that a week after the item's arrival, the amount I spent is completely forgotten.  I've honestly never regretted spending too much on something I really wanted. 

You got a hardwired TT, which is rare, and a 10-button, which adds even more to the rarity.  $125 might be a bit high, but I wouldn't worry about it too much--it's a very collectible phone.  Once it's cleaned up a bit, you'll probably have no qualms about the purchase.
= DARRIN =

benhutcherson

Quote from: bingster on January 27, 2009, 10:39:49 AM

You got a hardwired TT, which is rare, and a 10-button, which adds even more to the rarity.  $125 might be a bit high, but I wouldn't worry about it too much--it's a very collectible phone.  Once it's cleaned up a bit, you'll probably have no qualms about the purchase.

Not to mention that it's in a hard-to-find color

Yes, $126 is a lot, but I wouldn't be too upset about paying that much for it.

Sargeguy

I have a simple system.  I bid the lowest permissable amount when I first see an item I like and save my highest bid for the last 10 seconds.  It doesn't give you time to get in a pissing contest and spend more than you think sometthing is worth.  It also doesn't drive the price up too early in the bidding process.  Whether or not you got a good deal on that phone depends on how much you like sanding. 
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

BDM

With it fully restored and looking good, you could probably easily get a return on your investment, and then some. Should you decide.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Perry

The 10-button phones tend to go high, although they are somewhat impractical to use (with no # button, the only reason I would want a touch-tone phone). Is the same true for 10-button Princesses?
http://tinyurl.com/10-button-princess

Dennis Markham

I'm with Bingster on this one.  A hardwired, 10 button is desirable to those that collect them.  Maybe even just cleaning and polishing without getting into sanding is good enough.  You probably didn't buy it to make a profit on it, you bought it cause you wanted one.  It's all good.

Dan/Panther

McHeath;
I had that phone bookmarked also.
Don't feel bad, a bidding war means you weren't alone in your want of that phone.
I think I mentioned before that I HAD TO HAVE a 2 transistor radio like the one I had when I was 11 years old. Well I won it, for the sum of $348.00. Mint in box with all original paperwork including the original battery.
To this day I do not regret that purchase. At the time I was sick to my stomach, but that went away the minute I saw the radio in person, and held it in my hand, I was 11 years old again.
D/P

Sorry Bingster I corrected my error...

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dan/Panther

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

mienaichizu

me too, I agree with the other

at first you'll regret it but in the end, you'll love it

McHeath

Well you are all too kind.  Probably you are right in that once the shock of the price wears off I will be okay with it.  Hopefully it was be in decent shape, the seller was not very clear nor are the pictures.  I've been wanting a 10 button 1500, and in this color, so that is what suckered me in and made me spend way more than I would have if it had been ivory or green. 

As for cleaning it up to resell, it's always a thought, but then again I never get rid of anything.  Anything.  When I shuffle off this mortal coil ya'll want to come to that yard sale because it will be something to see.  This 1500 will be there most likely as well, unless the house burns down. 

Sargeguy

It's only money.   You probably would've just spent it on other phones you really don't need anyway. 8)
Greg Sargeant
Providence, RI
TCI /ATCA #4409

McHeath

Har har! :D 

The seller says it's on the way, I asked that it be packed carefully as phones break, as we all know, so I hope that happened.  I'm going to go the full blown wet sanding process and maybe even the cord refurbishment method that Dennis and others were discussing some time back.  We shall see how nice it comes out.