News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Shooting at the Canadian War Memorial

Started by DavePEI, October 22, 2014, 03:11:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DavePEI

At approximately 9:52 this morning, a lone sniper shot and killed a Canadian Soldier from Hamilton, Ontario who was guarding the National War Memorial and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. He was killed minutes later when he moved his attack into the Canadian Parliament buildings.

He fell just inside the doors to the parliamentary library.

What a cowardly attack. The soldiers carried only dummy weapons at the memorial and were there to honour Canadian War dead throughout the centuries.

Parliament is still shut down as this is investigated. Further news may be viewed on CBC, CNN, and all major news outlets.

Dave
The Telephone Museum of Prince Edward Island:
http://www.islandregister.com/phones/museum.html
Free Admission - Call (902) 651-2762 to arrange a visit!
C*NET 1-651-0001

Phonesrfun

Early reports that I saw on CNN and MSNBC were all over the board as to how many shooters, how many had been shot and so forth.  Thanks for the update.  Very true as to cowardly.  It seems that these sort of things always are.  Senseless too.
-Bill G

DavePEI

Quote from: Phonesrfun on October 22, 2014, 03:27:34 PM
Early reports that I saw on CNN and MSNBC were all over the board as to how many shooters, how many had been shot and so forth.  Thanks for the update.  Very true as to cowardly.  It seems that these sort of things always are.  Senseless too.
This early into an investigation, there are sure to be many stories. There are still some reports of more than one involved. For certain, the shooter was killed inside Parliament, and over the coming hours, I am sure more will be released as the investigation progresses.

I feel so sad for the family of the Hamilton Reservist - there should have been no safer assignment, guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier. The fallen soldier's name has not yet been released, ploice and military officials citing privacy reasons. Apparently an impromtu memorial is beginning to appear in the Hamilton Armories.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

DavePEI

The suspect has now been identified as Michael Zehaf-Bibea, Canadian born in 1982.

The victim of the shooting was Cpl. Nathan Cirillo. He was a military reservist. Cirillo was from Hamilton in Ontario, Canada. He was just 24 years old and on unarmed volunteer duty at the memorial..

Parliamentary Sergeant at Arms Kevin Vickers shot and killed the suspect after he entered the Parliament Buildings minutes after the primary shooting. Mr Vickers was an ex-RCMP officer, recipient of the Queen's Jubilee medal, the Canada 125 medal, and the RCMP Long Service medal. While Sgt at Arms is a ceremonial position, and normally carries no more than a golden mace, Mr. Vickers retrieved a weapon he had in his office and used it to neutralize the suspect. Mr. Vickers is being hailed as a Hero.

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001

Babybearjs

this really jolted Canada.... they don't normally have this happen..... is more common in the U.S.
John

DavePEI

Quote from: Babybearjs on November 18, 2014, 04:46:12 AM
this really jolted Canada.... they don't normally have this happen..... is more common in the U.S.
Hi John:

How true. Its not that nothing happens here, but most major incidents happen in the US, and we aren't used to it. It may have only been the victim and perpetrator who died in this case, but to disturb the sanctity of Parliament and the War Memorial? Unthinkable.

When this happened I was watching TV and saw it unfold. (TV running all the time to the left of my desk). As it was happening, it left me with the same gut feeling that SwissAir 111 (and other crashes)  left when it crashed off Lunenburg, and even moreso when the Twin Towers went down. Even though it was two people as opposed to hundreds, it shouldn't have happened.

I can't help feeling if our society reaches the point where these incidents don't bother us, that, indeed will become hardened to the point where we are no longer a society.

Always remember those who died on 911, those who died on the SwissAir 111's, those who die in embattled schools, even those who lost their lives at the War Monument. Whether it happens in Canada or the United States, or in any other country of the world, we must care and we must stop it happening!

/sermon

Dave
C*NET 1-651-0001