News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

In Service Payphone

Started by Fabius, October 28, 2017, 10:35:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fabius

While on a road trip stopped in a truck stop in Morgantown West Virginia to get gas. When I saw this paystation I thought it was just another dead one. Much to my surprise it was in service.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

NikeTelephone

Is it just me or that booth really low to the floor? more soo then normal! :)
Phones, Who Knew! :)

Fabius

Quote from: NikeTelephone on October 28, 2017, 10:50:57 AM
   Is it just me or that booth really low to the floor? more soo then normal! :)

Sure looks like it in the picture. I don't recall it being low.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Having only one phone, it could be multi-functional, for use by both wheel chair bound people and non-handicapped people.

I just saw a photo (can't find it) of a pay phone bank on the forum showing 5 or 6 payphones are stand up height and the last one on the right was low to the ground for those in wheel chairs.

The attached photo is not it but shows the height difference for wheel chair bound people.

Fabius

I noticed in my reflection on the pay phone I am bending forward.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

AL_as_needed

Not only is that still in service, but it still looks as it should! Clean, polished, complete, and with no graffiti or other "art" defacing it. Nice find of a phone "in the wild"
TWinbrook7

Fabius

Quote from: AL_as_needed on October 29, 2017, 11:59:08 AM
Not only is that still in service, but it still looks as it should! Clean, polished, complete, and with no graffiti or other "art" defacing it. Nice find of a phone "in the wild"

I wish I would of wrote down the company name on it so I could research them. I used my iPhone and the image isn't sharp enough to make the name out. Notice that at the top states what the number of the phone is but it doesn't match the number on the strip above the touchtone dial. I'll call both later and see which is correct.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

WEBellSystemChristian

Our local Walmart had a brand new, in-service payphone when it opened 6 or so years ago, but it's gone now.

That one was perfect too, but it didn't stop them from removing it! :'(
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

twocvbloke

Quote from: Fabius on October 29, 2017, 12:39:42 PM
I wish I would of wrote down the company name on it so I could research them.

Going by the length of the wording, and the state of GA, I'm guessing these guys are operating the phone:

http://itc-web.com/

Of course, it could have changed hands since then as I've not found anything on their website about running payphones as part of their business...

poplar1

Quote from: twocvbloke on October 29, 2017, 02:49:25 PM
Going by the length of the wording, and the state of GA, I'm guessing these guys are operating the phone:

Of course, it could have changed hands since then as I've not found anything on their website about running payphones as part of their business...

This company -- Interstate Telecommunications Cooperative, Inc. --  is one of the independent (non-Bell) operating companies serving parts of South Dakota and Minnesota.

The pay phone company -- Interstate Telecommunications, Inc. --  is in Cumming, GA:
http://www.iti-ga.com/gpage.html

Interstate Telecommunications, Inc., founded in 1991, is a national public telecommunications company. The company qualifies as a minority owned enterprise and the principals and key management personnel have extensive backgrounds in the telecommunications industry including positions with Regional Bell Operating Companies, interexchange carriers and public telecommunications service and product companies.
Providing and servicing WiFi systems, Gaming machines, Prison phones, Payphones, Payemail machines, and more. 
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

Fabius

Quote from: twocvbloke on October 29, 2017, 02:49:25 PM

The pay phone is in West Virginia.
Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

twocvbloke

As poplar1 pointed out, my guess was wrong on the company, but close enough to ID the actual company, too many "Interstate" names out there, heck, my Tristar CXL vacuum cleaner was made by the Interstate Engineering Company, so, not a well-thought out name... ;D

AL_as_needed

Well with "interstate" in the name, the company sounds like a big deal versus Two Towns and a Truck-Stop Communications.

Railroads did the same back in the 1800's (Fill in the Blank) & Pacific was used to give the illusion that the rail carrier was a gateway to far flung destinations out west. One example (sort of) was the Ontario & Western RR. Before being absorbed into the NYC system it ran from Oswego NY (on lake Ontario).....south..... to Middletown NY.... now the I-81/RT 17 corridor.  Not much west going on there.
TWinbrook7

TelePlay

If anyone decides to visit Lake Louise, they seem to have in service pay phones at Brewsters Lake Louise Stables & Dance Barn.

Payphone installer

Interstate payphone company got its start providing payphones for the government. They bought the contract when AT&T closed the public telephone department. The first payphones used for this account were a special version of the Private Payphone Plus. I have never seen a picture of the phone or it for sale anywhere.