News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

My "Strangeo" For This Year

Started by 19and41, August 17, 2018, 03:35:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

19and41

Completed a "best offer" purchase for a Galaxy S4 phone in excellent condition on the 2nd.  The auction stated it would be shipped priority with an ETA of the 10th.  A bit long, but ok.  the 10th comes and goes with no tracking info updates.  On the 12th, I get the shipped notice that really indicates the seller printed up a shipping label and nothing more.  On the 13th, I wrote them to find out when they intended to ship.  No response.  The next day, I check the info on the auction page.  The seller had changed the ETA on it to the 21st!  Today I check the lacking tracking (not shipped) and look at the auction page again.  Now it says it will arrive 3 to 6 days after the purchase date (August 2nd).  I have wrote them thru Ebay and said if a response isn't forthcoming by the 23rd I will initiate a item not received with a request for refund.  I've never seen the Ebay records diddled with like that before.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Definitely sounds ominous to me, especially as it involves a smartphone, got to be careful when it comes to things like that on ebay...

WEBellSystemChristian

I see parcel carriers lengthen the delivery date routinely, but never an eBay seller! Definitely strange...I didn't even know you could do that!

Is it possible that, since the shipping label was created well after the delivery date, eBay automatically recalculated the delivery day based on the day the seller printed the label (assuming the seller would ship the same day they print the label)? I don't think the seller has the power to do that.

The date you bought it and the initial expected delivery day is 8 days difference. The date the label was printed and the updated delivery date is 9 days. It almost sounds like eBay did that.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

19and41

This came in the mornings' E-mail.  I guess we'll see.

I apologize for the delay, I generally leave any outgoing mail on my fathers desk, and he appears to have missed it. I'll drop it off at the post office today on my way to class. Sorry about that.
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Always someone else's fault, never their own, despite the responsibility when selling things to be their own...

19and41

Last Sunday, I checked to see if the phone had been shipped and at the time I signed up to get e mail notifications of any movement.  I just got notification that it was checked in around 5 pm, and another notification that the handling had begun with an ETA.  Not bad.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

The notification service worked quite well, advising me of each stop and it has told me it was put in my mailbox at 2:48 this afternoon.  Wish I was home to get it.
— Arthur C. Clarke

markosjal

A WE 500 would have been a better phone
Phat Phantom's phreaking phone phettish

19and41

I have one, but it won't fit on my belt and keeps saying "emergency calls only" when I try to use it in the car.   ;D 
After opening the parcel, I have found the Samsung isn't the model of phone specified in the sale and as an added bonus, it has an aftermarket operating system I had never heard of before and is weird as a 3 dollar bill.  Now to see how long this seller will stretch out the NAD refund process.
— Arthur C. Clarke

Greg G.

I didn't know old Galaxy S* phones were sought after.  I jumped from an S3 to an S6.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

twocvbloke

I went from my S3 to my S5, and am still using said S5 cos I like it... :)

19and41

Well, the seller didn't respond to the return request that initiates a NAD case.  Today I requested Ebay intervene.  they decided in my favor and sent me a return postage paid label and I am to ship it back to him, whereupon Ebay is to refund my payment.
— Arthur C. Clarke

19and41

I used the label and shipped the phone back to the seller.  I sent it at Office Depot and got a tracking number per ebay's instructions.  I entered the number on the cases' page and set about waiting for it to get to the seller.  I checked back after a couple of days, and found that the tracking number provided was gibberish.  Without that, there was no way for Ebay to know the item got back to the seller.  I then remembered that I had printed an oversize shipping label that I threw away.  I dug it up and tried the number on it.  It worked!  Called Ebay explained and gave them the good number.  the agent said it was the same as the wrong one I had given them.  after a few minutes wrangling they told me to call after It had arrived.  I did.  actually 2 days after it got there.  They noted its arrival and told me to call on Tuesday if I hadn't heard from the seller.  I called today and they immediately issued a full refund.  The money back guarantee works.  I would advise calling them after 10:30 EDT to lessen any wait.  I tell others to do this next thing and I neglected to do so: Check the Feedback score.  Don't trade with low number sellers.
— Arthur C. Clarke