News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Green 500 crack filled and completely sanded

Started by McHeath, August 21, 2009, 12:19:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

McHeath

I wanted a late model hardwired 500, in moss green.  Something from the early 70's, right before modular hit.  Preferably not a refurbed Frankenphone, but not expensive either.

Found what looked like the perfect deal in NH, a nice green 6/70 model 500, no fading or yellowing, with matching line cord to boot.  Paid a little less than $17 for it.  Sent the sender the packing instructions, they promised it would be packed well, (you know where this is going don't you) and it arrived today.

Slightly broken.

Which means mostly unbroken.  (Shades of the Princess Bride here)

It's exactly what I wanted, except for the nice big crack in the side from where the handset laid next to it in the box.

Got any ideas how to fix this?

foots

McHeath, with all of the other repairs we've been seeing here lately, you should have no problem getting some good pointers on repairing that. I really like that color - it looks just like one in Robert Redford's quarters in that show Brubaker.
"Ain't Worryin' 'Bout Nothin"

bingster

I think Dan mentioned a method of filling the crack with superglue until it was level with the surrounding area, then sand it smooth.  The clear glue would pick up the surrounding color and make a nearly-undetectable repair.
= DARRIN =

The Operator

To take the idea further, take a fine file and shave a little bit of material off the inside and mix that with the superglue. This is an old luthier/guitar repair trick. You could shave enough off the support bosses inside that you wouldn't even notice.

The file has to be clean or rust will discolor things and don't use sandpaper or the patch will be darker from the silica. Slow drying superglue gives you the time you need to mix and apply. The mix should be mostly plastic with just enough superglue to get it wet and workable. I'll use a thin nylon guitar pick as a trowel because they're cheap, have them around and they actually work really well for this sort of thing.
Ever get the urge to call the number on the dial card and say "Hey, I have your phone."

McHeath

I went with just using SuperGlue straight in the crack as it was easier and I was not sure about my skills to do the more involved repair.  So far so good, I have not yet sanded it but will tomorrow after a long night of letting the glue set well. 

Dan

Please post pics when you are done. I have one similar to this ,sitting and waiting....
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

McHeath

So I went ahead and sanded the whole thing.  800 grit, then 1000, then 2000, then rubbing compound.  So far the shell is done and the dial bezel, while the handset is awaiting the rubbing compound.

To fix the crack I used Superglue, on front and back.  I filled the crack on the outside to a little more than the height of the plastic surface, let it dry overnight, and then sanded.

It's almost all gone, you notice a slight whitish streak, but can't feel anything when you rub it as the surface is totally smooth.  I'm pleased.  It's not perfect, and if it was a high dollar phone I'd want better, but for this little late model hardwired I think it's okay.

Geesh sanding a phone is a chore.  And I only took off a very little bit as the color was fine to start with, no yellowing or discoloring.  Don't sand a phone unless you really are a Phanatic.   :)

McHeath

Pics:

The side of the phone, handset still sanded.

The crack repaired from different angles. 

Phonesrfun

-Bill G