News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

NE 393-BA Telephone & 194B Condenser

Started by tallguy58, October 23, 2013, 07:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tallguy58

I was hooking up my 393 Hotel phone and noticed that my condenser is a 194 B type.  The conductors bear no resemblance to anyting I've ever come across.

Below I found this diagram of a 194 A type

The 194 B is a 2MF at the top and a .5MF on the bottom. Both top conductors are black and both bottom ones are red. Is it necessary to have the colors hooked up correctly as per the  diagrams or can either conductor be attached to either spot?

ie: using the diagram below, on the 2MF side, can red be connected to B and black connected to C? Can slate be connected to L2Y and yellow to K?

If you know what I mean?    Now that I've totally confused everyone ??? ???
Cheers........Bill

G-Man

Difficult to understand that if the conductors are red and black then why are yellow and slate being shown? And what about mixing 194A and 194B condensers?

The condenser is non-polarized so the conductors for the .5uF terminals can be connected to either terminal and the same goes for the 2uF terminals.

G-Man

OK, a check of the BSP for condensers shows that the 194A has a 1uF/2uF value and the 194B is rated at .5uF/2uF. 

Are you attempting to use the 194A in place of the 194B condenser?

G-Man

Still difficult to understand what you want to accomplish.

Why is the 194A brought into the mix? Do you want to replace the 194B with it?
Why not just connect the wire to the original terminals?

While the condensers are non-polarized, you cannot cross-connect the sections without the circuit being affected.

G-Man

At the moment I am unable to place what a Western Electric 393 hotel telephone looks like.

Do you have a schematic diagram?

tallguy58

Thanks for the replies.

Here are 2 pics of the condenser and the phone.

This is a NE N393 BA hotel phone. 
Cheers........Bill

G-Man

Quote from: G-Man on October 23, 2013, 07:50:22 PM
At the moment I am unable to place what a Western Electric 393 hotel telephone looks like.

I've found a photo of a Northern Electric N-393 wall set that may resemble

tallguy58

THAT'S MY PHONE!!

Compare that pic with my pic!

The ringer wasn't working when I got it but the red lead was connected to GND so I moved it to L1.

I was just double checking all the wiring when I noticed the weird condenser. The phone works fine now. I was just wondering if anyone has seen this type of condenser before.
Looks like they crossed out the 194 B and restamped it 2194 B.

Thanks G-man for all the info.
Cheers........Bill

G-Man

Without being able to consult a diagram I would not suggest replacing the 194B with 194A condenser since one of their sections have different values.

Is there a problem with the 194B in your set? If you do replace it then simply remove the wires one at a time and connect them to the same location on the replacement condenser.

tallguy58

Nothing wrong with the 194B at all.  Phone works fine now.
Cheers........Bill

G-Man

Just to finish this thread off while I still have the BSP open, here are the values and terminal locations for both condensers:

tallguy58

Wow, thanks. Where did you find that?
Cheers........Bill

poplar1

Quote from: tallguy58 on October 23, 2013, 07:00:28 PM
I was hooking up my 393 Hotel phone and noticed that my condenser is a 194 B type.  The conductors bear no resemblance to anyting I've ever come across.

Below I found this diagram of a 194 A type

The 194 B is a 2MF at the top and a .5MF on the bottom. Both top conductors are black and both bottom ones are red. Is it necessary to have the colors hooked up correctly as per the  diagrams or can either conductor be attached to either spot?

ie: using the diagram below, on the 2MF side, can red be connected to B and black connected to C? Can slate be connected to L2Y and yellow to K?

If you know what I mean?    Now that I've totally confused everyone ??? ???

The 194B with a 0.5 uF value ringing capacitor is indicated because of the high impedance ringer (4300 ohms) in this set. Low impedance ringers require at least 1.0 uF, such as in the 194A.

Perhaps the 2194B designation is because of the both-slate and both-red leads?
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.

poplar1

Quote from: G-Man on October 23, 2013, 07:50:22 PM

Possibly because they don't exist?
The equivalent WE set is a 653BA (Metal).

WALL SET:
Manual:
WE                    Equivalent NE
293A                  N293A     
333A                  N293A
533A                  N293A
633A                      ? N393-A?

Dial:                 
553A                      ?  N293-?
653A                      ?  N393-?
653BA                N393 BA

BELL BOX:

Sidetone:

295A                   N295A
334A                   N295A
534A                   N295A
584A                   N584A

Anti-sidetone:
434A                     ?
495BP                   ?
634A                     ?
634BA                   ?
684A                     ?
684BA                N684BX ?

685A                 N685A

(Above table subject to additions and revisions)

Note that for some reason, when converting 295 subsets to anti-sidetone at the shop,  WE added 200 instead of the usual 100:  295 > 495 but 534A > 634A, 334A > 434A, 584A > 684A etc.
"C'est pas une restauration, c'est une rénovation."--François Martin.