News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Tip/Ring reversal troubleshooting

Started by Babybearjs, March 26, 2016, 11:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Babybearjs

I use RJ-45 modular cords on my 3 and 5 line keysets. when dealing with modular cords has anyone run into Tip/Ring reversal problems? I'm having some sort of T/R issues on my outdoor jacks and its frustrating because I don't know which is easier, adjust the wires at the jack, or inside the phone. the funny thing is.... phone phones work fine on all but these jacks.   how do techs troubleshoot this problem when it exists....
John

AE_Collector

So you mean polarity issues between T and R, not line interchanges? One obvious problem with using RJ45 cords is the 568A versus 568B standards. I see patch cords of each type intermixed all the time but of course it doesn't matter for data cords as long as each end is the same as the other. When using them as you are, cuttingv one end (plug) off you have to pay attention to where the oronge and green pairs are in the plug.

Other than that you are already locked in to 4 pair cords, I wonder why you didn't standardize on 6 conductor tel cords so the plugs and jacks remained as tel USOC standard and 1A2 is based on 6 conductors per line. Of course I worked in Centrex using NT products and had lierally hundreds of 6 conductor cords available to me.

I don't know how you keep track of what is what the way data cords work with the center 2 pairs being like a tel cord (unless it is 568B using blue and green pairs) and ten the 3rd pair all on one side and the 4th pair all on the other side of the plug.

Terry

podor

I've noticed that some RJ11 cords and splitters have the polarity reversed from the factory. Check those if there are any in the mix. It caused me to chase my tail quite a few times. I make my own patch cords now. I have a polarity checker that I bought from Ace Hardware that works well for diagnosing. I use it to check my wiring before I install anything. I would suggest fixing fixing the wiring if it's the problem instead of inside the phone. If you're like me, you'll forget that you changed something and then you'll end up in the same boat.