News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

The CRPF "Old Phones in Movies & TV" Compilation

Started by HobieSport, November 23, 2008, 01:45:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AE_Collector

Whenever I was visiting Grant there always seemed to be a truck from supernatural coming to pickup or return phone stuff. His family is carrying on running his business "Grants Telephone Classics" renting to the movie industry.

Terry

Greg G.

Came across this capture of Burt Mustin.  Not sure what movie or show this was, but he appeared in a lot of them.  The phone looks like a WE Hotel phone.  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0615993/
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

jsowers

That's from Leave it to Beaver, where Burt Mustin played Gus the Fireman.

The manual version of that phone was probably used in some hotels, but the rotary version would be found more in homes, businesses and apartments in cities where rotary dial service came fairly early, like in the 1930s and 40s. Hotels mostly had switchboards and manual phones installed until the late 1950s and early 60s.
Jonathan

19and41

Did you know that Mustin was one of Americas' first radio personalities, hosting a program on KDKA in 1921?

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0615993/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

Greg G.

Quote from: jsowers on November 15, 2017, 11:54:05 AM
That's from Leave it to Beaver, where Burt Mustin played Gus the Fireman.

The manual version of that phone was probably used in some hotels, but the rotary version would be found more in homes, businesses and apartments in cities where rotary dial service came fairly early, like in the 1930s and 40s. Hotels mostly had switchboards and manual phones installed until the late 1950s and early 60s.

I learn something every time I come here!  I guess then I don't have any "hotel" phones in my collection, they both have dials, albeit one has an AE dial I've been meaning to replace.  I'll call them 553A's then.
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

HarrySmith

Most people selling on ebay tend to call all maual phones either hotel phones or operator phones. Thay have no idea there was a time in our telephone history when nobody had a dial on thier phone!
Harry Smith
ATCA 4434
TCI

"There is no try,
there is only
do or do not"

AE_Collector

This weeks version of "the Goldbergs" shows Murray beside a 1980's (something!) Electronic Key Phone but...it appears to be a CORDLESS! Oops.....

Terry

andre_janew

I don't think it is even hooked up, but I suppose through the magic of Hollywood, it works anyway!

TelePlay

This is an oldie contemporary addition to this topic. White Christmas was filmed in 1954 and set or the action takes place in 1954, or maybe a few years before that but not until at least a couple of years after VE Day (Victory in Europe Day). This part of the movie takes place or is set at a country hotel in Vermont. All telephones seen in the movie are D1/E1 but what caught my eye at about 1 hour and 17  minutes into the movie was the Hotel switchboard (out of focus to the left of Bing Crosby and two different angles taken from other parts of the movie. This hotel was said to have been used in 1942's Holiday Inn with Bing Crosby. As such, I'd this this was a functioning hotel used for the movie and the switchboard was real and fully functional, not a gutted prop.

Still one of the best, if not the best, Christmas movies ever made, in the top 3 in my book.

Fabius

From the Internet Movie Database website on White Christmas:

The Vermont inn is the remodeled Connecticut inn set from Bing Crosby's earlier movie Holiday Inn (1942). In White Christmas, the recycled hotel set is very gray, and appears not to have been repainted in new colors. Since Holiday Inn was a black & white film, the sets were probably originally painted in grayscale, as color palette schemes would have been a waste of resources in 1942.

Notice it refers to the Inn as a set.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0047673/trivia

Notice to the bottom of the web page it states:The snow used at the end of the film is actually asbestos.

Tom Vaughn
La Porte, Indiana
ATCA Past President
ATCA #765
C*NET 1+ 821-9905

TelePlay

Quote from: Fabius on December 18, 2017, 01:07:04 PM
Notice it refers to the Inn as a set.

Yep, it as a set. The studios spent a lot of time and money building these large sets. Guess the switchboard was just a prop.

19and41

Paramount was one of the best for sets.  Consider the ones for Rear Window and The Ladies' Man.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

AL_as_needed

Quote from: Fabius on December 18, 2017, 01:07:04 PM
Notice to the bottom of the web page it states:The snow used at the end of the film is actually asbestos.

...Simpler times.
TWinbrook7

Butch Harlow

I hadn't seen it mentioned, but the Netflix series "The Crown" is absolutely filled with beautiful phones. Lots of scenes with GPO 332's in red, ivory and some black ones with green receivers. I watch it solely to spot cool phones
Butch Harlow

Greg G.

We spent NYE staying home with snacks and movies.  We found a local channel that was running a string of old movies, they called it "Noir Years Eve".  They were surprisingly good.  One of them I happened to find on Youtube and got a capture of the leading lady looking longingly at a nice stick.  The movie was called "My Name is Julia Ross".  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x26RC_gJ80s

- Mike Row
e