News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

New here—recent find: unusual Siemens & Halske rotary phone

Started by JHealey1967, August 14, 2022, 03:42:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JHealey1967

Hello all—I am new to this hobby and this site. I just picked up this old Siemens & Halske phone the other day out of curiosity. I have a landline and would like to make this old phone functional—if possible.

Firstly, might anyone here have an approximate idea of its era, as well as whether it looks more or less original? I have searched the internet high and low and can find nothing that quite looks like this particular phone.

In any case, I plugged it in to the wall when I brought it home and was successful in making outgoing calls—the sound quality was actually quite impressive!

But, as I am new to this hobby, I don't quite understand how phones of this type and era would be hung-up. The [much more modern] rotary phones that I grew up with had a pressure switch on the receiver cradle, activated when the receiver was placed down in it.

With this phone, the cradle has no such switch, thus the phone just beeps off the hook and has to be unplugged to reestablish a dial tone. I'm not sure how it would receive an incoming call. If a simple modification could make it work, I'm all ears.

Any advice, thoughts, or insights would be greatly appreciated!

FABphones

It appears to be in the same style as the OB 33
http://www.fernsprecher.de/museum/museum.htm

http://www.classicrotaryphones.com/forum/index.php?topic=10026

The instuction plate to front replaced by a dial. Magneto handle to side removed.
This would be used to signal the Operator to connect and terminate a call.

Is there anything written on the underside?

Photos of underneath and inside please.

—-

Images below from above link and Internet.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

rdelius

I think this was rebuilt by COT when I worked there . Would have modern insides .Brass on front to hold dial

JHealey1967

Nothing on the bottom. Here are some photos of the internals. Looks like a modern rebuild afterall.

dsk

Hi, and welcome. Nice to hear that it works for the most. The most common problem when it is not hanging up is in the ringer circuit, so if you try to just disconnect the one of ringer wires, and it will hang up we will easily know where to look.
Your phone is obviously modified with non-Siemens parts, but that will be no big problem.

FABphones

Quote from: JHealey1967 on August 14, 2022, 03:42:46 PM...I just picked up this old Siemens & Halske phone...

Thanks for the additional photos.

The forum software appears to have errored the images you attached to your first post. Could you please add them again as a new reply, I can then reinsert them.

No need to use the 'Insert' option, just add via 'attachments and other options'.

Thanks.
A collector of  'Monochrome Phones with Sepia Tones'   ...and a Duck!
Vintage Phones - 10% man made, 90% Tribble

rdelius