News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

Stringing handset wires.

Started by Greg G., October 14, 2009, 06:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg G.

Particularly the receiver wires that have to go up through the handset.  What techniques and/or tools to y'all use?  I spent way too much time fighting with them today.  Just when I thought I had them up far enough to grab, I let go of the cord and it pulled them back down. 
The idea that a four-year degree is the only path to worthwhile knowledge is insane.
- Mike Row
e

bingster

Assuming you're talking about 500 style cords, I do two things:  One, I pull the  straight vinyl cover up, so that only the lugs are poking out of it--no excess conductor is exposed.  Then I take a large paper clip, straighten it out, and insert it into the vinyl cover.  That straightens and stiffens that portion of the cord, allowing it to go easily through the handset.  Once the end comes into the receiver portion of the handset, just grab the exposed bit of the paper clip with some needle nose pliers or something and yank it out.  Then you can push back the short cover to bring the excess receiver conductor length out.
= DARRIN =

benhutcherson

I take a long piece of 24 gauge solid wire and thread it through the handset. Then, I wrap it around the handset wire pair a couple of times just below the spade lugs. I can then easily pull it through the handset and detach the wire.

This has always worked for me, many, many, many times over.

Dennis Markham

I'm on the same page with Ben.  Except that I mate the two spade tips that need to go through the handset "handle".  I then wrap the pulling wire around the spade tips.  This does two things (in my mind), it keeps the tips from getting caught on anything as they pass through the handset cord hole and the hollow cavity of the handset.  It also prevents me from pulling on the actual wires, avoiding damage to them.  (Sorry about the dirty handset for demonstration).

Dan/Panther

I pull the cover up to the lugs if it has a cover, then scotch tape the end so it slides through the handset. On ones without the cover I twist the wires so the are straight, then tape.
The other suggestions are good, and i'm going to give them a try.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

Phonesrfun

-Bill G

JorgeAmely

I use a drinking straw. The spades fit nicely in one end. All you need is to pull it through the handset.
Jorge

Dennis Markham

Leave it to Jorge to come up with a better mouse trap.  That's a good idea.  I'll have to give it a try.

Dan/Panther

I tried it with one of those Bar Room mixing straws, it didn't work... :( :( :(
D/P

JorgeAmely

D/P:

No comments. Did you at least enjoy the drink?   ;D ;D ;D
Jorge

Jester

I've used the lead wire method & have pulled the sleeve forward on the conductors before--I've found that rotating the cord back & forth a half turn while sliding it forward helps with the latter method.  I haven't thought of using a straw before, but it sounds like a good solution.  Do you use the jointed traws, Jorge?  Seems like that would help in fishing it out the receiver end.

D/P,

Those will work if you remember to order two straws, but only ONE drink! ;)
Stephen

Dan/Panther

How about 5 or 6 drinks and one straw.... ???
D/P

bwanna

or use a piece of twine as a mule string. tie on before you remove the cord, leave in place during cleaning. then when ready to re-install, tie or tape back on to string& pull thru. no fiddling to get the wire or straw make that slight curve in the hand set. 

but what do i know, i'm just a girl :-[
donna

Dan

Good method Donna. I use dental floss in the same manner. (Ah the smell of minty floss and soft tenite plastic in the morning!)
"Imagine how weird telephones would look if our ears weren't so close to our mouths." - Steven Wright

bwanna

huuuummmm ???  handy tip #12 in 101 uses for dental floss :o
donna