News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

4 wire ringer problem.

Started by Dan/Panther, April 11, 2009, 03:02:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan/Panther

I have a 4 wire 302, that I get a tickle ring, when I dial. We've talked about it before but I don't recall what causes it.
D/P

The More People I meet, The More I Love, and MISS My Dog.  Dan Robinson

BDM

Well, not sure how a 4 wire is wired. First, try adjusting the armatuer tension spring. I set it in the center position. Also, swap the main ringer wires  around, or L1 & L2. BTW, if you want a two wire B1a, let me know. I have one you can have.
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

Dennis Markham

Dan, I have read guys talking about "bell-tap" and often can fix it by moving the gongs a tad so that when the clapper moves it doesn't strike them (when other phones are dialed).  Also, as Brian said, often reversing the polarity with the red/green will help with that.  I know you weren't asking about wiring, but my diagram in the technical section for the Model 304C will show the wiring for the 101B with 4 conductor ringer.

Dan/Panther

Thanks, I'll check wiring to make sure it's correct, then adjust as needed.
It only happens on numbers dialed above 4, I guess maybe the capacitor may build a charge ?
BTW, while I was checking the capacitor, I hooked up my capacitor checker and when I connected the wires I got a rapid clicking in the receiver. If you check the capacitors ALL 4 wires should be disconnected.
D/P

McHeath

Not that this will help you in any way, but the Cortelco 2500 in my office, made in 2003, has serious bell tap when I dial my rotary phone that is also in the office.  It's not supposed to do that as Cortelco claimed that the new ringer would stop bell tap but clearly that did not work.

Dan/Panther

I was able to eliminate the problem by moving the ringer gong tension spring.
D/P