News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A.E. 802 Help

Started by trainman, February 09, 2009, 08:14:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trainman

Got this AE 802 and I need help. First, it won't ring.  Second, I get a dial tone, but after I dial one number or two, it hangs up.

It is the model 802 that has the printed circuit card that hold the transformer, and all the connection are made to. I did find a print online.

Thanks,

Tony

TIPandRING

Quote from: trainman on February 09, 2009, 08:14:34 AM
Got this AE 802 and I need help. First, it won't ring.  Second, I get a dial tone, but after I dial one number or two, it hangs up.

It is the model 802 that has the printed circuit card that hold the transformer, and all the connection are made to. I did find a print online.

Thanks,

Tony

Hey Tony--you from the antiqueradios forum? Your name seems familiar?

First off, to try to get it to ring--does this have the original line cord with a red, yellow and green wires coming out of it? If so, connect the yellow and green together at the wall jack (both put under the green screw connection).

The dialing issues sound like dirty or out-of-whack dial contacts. How long does the dial take to "return"?  In other words, when dialing "0", it should take a hair over 1 second to return once you let go of the finger wheel.

trainman

i'm on ARF.

The dia returns swiftly, in my opinion.

bingster

If the dial is running at the correct speed (11 pulses per second, or about a second for the dial to return from "0"), you might want to clean all the leaf spring contacts on the back of the dial and make sure they're aligned to each other properly.  Also clean the spade lugs on the ends of the conductors coming from the dial and make sure the ends are attached tightly to the board or network.  It sounds like the pulses from the dial are getting muddled somewhere along the line.
= DARRIN =

trainman

how do I know if the contacts are making in the correct order? I think that cam that turns with the dial is out of wack. The cam never seems to return to the same place everytime you return the dial, if it is supposed to do that.

trainman

After some trial and error, I got it to dial without hanging up. Adjusted thecontact on the dial. Contact tips look pretty worn out on that one. Anyone have a spare contact? Now its onto the  ringer. Still didn't workafter I wored up like you said. Found a pinched wire, that may be broken. Need my ohm meter to see if the wire is open or not.

trainman

Is the cam that the pulsing contacts ride on always to supposed tostop in the same place? Sometimes it stops with the contacts on the flatpart, other times it stops in a divit. I was looking a older AE phone I have, and the cam always stops on the same place.

So far, though it dials, but I did have trouble with it not dialing correctly on one ocassion.

trainman

After repositioning the cam,and redoing the soldered connections to the dial contacts(broke on wire, figured the rest weren't far behind) readusted the pulse contact, it will not dial out and take incoming calls.

McHeath

This dial is pretty troublesome, perhaps finding another dial would be the ultimate solution.  I've never had a dial give this much woe on my old phones. 

trainman

Opps. I meant the phone will now make outgoing calls, and take incoming calls. The ringer still won't work.  But, it is a mechanical adjustment, I think. If I loosen up the spring, it will ring, so I guess I just need to figure out how to adjust it.

mienaichizu

that is also what I want to know, how to make an AE80 rings?
i have two AE80 but doesn't rings out

BDM

Quote from: mienaichizu on February 18, 2009, 10:53:38 AM
that is also what I want to know, how to make an AE80 rings?
i have two AE80 but doesn't rings out

Are they straightline (i.e. SL) 20/hz ringers, or frequency ringers?
http://www.telephonecollectors.org/library/aeco/aeco.htm
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

trainman

you know, good pics of an AE  802 straightline ringer and a frequency ringer would help to clarfiy.

O belive my ringer to now  be frequency, but my digi cam is no where to be found since I moved.

BDM

Pics will have to wait until I return home tonight. BTW, what numbers can you read on the ringer itself? Something like 54~  or 66~
--Brian--

St Clair Shores, MI

trainman

my ringer # is d-56548-A50