News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

A dull wet day brightened up...

Started by twocvbloke, September 17, 2017, 12:18:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

twocvbloke

Well I think Irma's remnants are presently wetting this country, so it's cold, dark and very, very wet, sooooo, I hung up the Super Aladdin again, and promptly headbutted it again (I don't miss that!), by have I missed the light output from that thing, the colour, the brightness, and of course, the heat, it's so nice... :)

AL_as_needed

Hit your head enough and you might forget you hit it at all  ;D
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

I've headbutted it three times since I hung it up, I never remember to duck... ;D

AL_as_needed

I actually had the same string of luck when I first hung up my No 2 Blizzard. Being that much larger than my other lanterns, I found myself bumping the noggin. I just ended up moving the hanging hooks in a fit of frustration....
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

I'm up to 5 now, just been trying to get the flame to burn properly as it seemed to be rather one-sided again, beginning to wonder if the wick has issues, but that said, it's presently lighting up better than earlier, despite the headbutts... ;D

Now, if only I could remember my name and where I lived......... ;D

AL_as_needed

Could be an air flow issue. One of my little wizards would always burn in a strange "W" shape. After trying to trim the wick different ways and pulling my hair out, John (Teleplay) suggested i flush out the air tubes. Low and behold they were packet with very very dead bugs....

Now I know the Aladins do not work quite like a tubular lantern, but could there be a draft? Or maybe the hurricane is not seating fully on one side? 
TWinbrook7

TelePlay

Ever consider one of these inexpensive lamp protection devices?   ::)

Will even prevent wear and tear on your head.

AL_as_needed

Now how did that picture of me leak out?  ;D
TWinbrook7

twocvbloke

Quote from: AL_as_needed on September 17, 2017, 02:59:53 PM
Could be an air flow issue. One of my little wizards would always burn in a strange "W" shape. After trying to trim the wick different ways and pulling my hair out, John (Teleplay) suggested i flush out the air tubes. Low and behold they were packet with very very dead bugs....

Now I know the Aladins do not work quite like a tubular lantern, but could there be a draft? Or maybe the hurricane is not seating fully on one side? 

The airflow doesn't seem to be the issue as far as I can see, after trimming the wick a bit and reshaping it with the wick cleaner, it's burning better so far... :)

I've twiddled with the metalwork too as it seemed I'd missed some spots from back when I was fixing it up initially, so everything should be sealed properly now and the only airflow should just be through the burner's air feeds... :)

Quote from: TelePlay on September 17, 2017, 03:02:00 PM
Ever consider one of these inexpensive lamp protection devices?   ::)

I thought about it, but I didn't fancy having my face removed, kind of impacts on my style...  ;D

19and41

The Aladdin is one circumstance in which I wish the ceiling were higher.  Any height it would be convenient to mount a bracket or try to properly hang it would place the font at eye level or less.  The next time I light it I'll have to take it's temperature with my remote laser thermometer.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Quote from: 19and41 on September 18, 2017, 04:47:35 PMAny height it would be convenient to mount a bracket or try to properly hang it would place the font at eye level or less.

That's basically what mine is at height-wise, and why I keep walking into it (9 times now), looking at the chain I could probably raise it up another couple of links, as the minimum recommended height is 18 inches from the ceiling to the smoke bell (or was that the chimney? I've forgotten can't think why though!), and my chain's probably about 20" give or take, but if I did that, then refitting the home-made leaded glass shade wouldn't be as easy... :)

19and41

I' would be concerned with just the heat exposure above it.  The lamps were made in the lath and plaster era, but I wonder how paper covered wall board would fare with high heat.  It is probably borated but I don't like to tempt fate too much.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."
— Arthur C. Clarke

twocvbloke

Well, with my "custom" smoke bell, the ceiling's not changed colour above the lamp, and the ceiling in here is of questionable quality, not sure what it is, but it didn't seem like plaster, plasterboard (drywall over there), wood or anything, kind of felt "papery", but houses like this were built and/or "upgraded" with such features, and it'd cost more to replace than it's worth for using a lamp... :)

twocvbloke

Took a hard hit today, went from one side of the room to the other to close the window (cold outside, despite being sunny), headed back and CLANG!!! Hit the thing so hard that I've now got a welt in the shape of the base of the font on my head, hit it hard enough that it brought tears to my eyes with the instant pain... :o

Sad thing is, I checked the state of the mantle before my head, priorities and all...  ;D

AL_as_needed

Quote from: twocvbloke on September 19, 2017, 12:08:17 PM
Sad thing is, I checked the state of the mantle before my head, priorities and all...  ;D

A true lamp-er! Maybe the lantern bug really is terminal.... Kind of worried having mine hanging by the bed now...
TWinbrook7