News:

"The phone is a remarkably complex, simple device,
and very rarely ever needs repairs, once you fix them." - Dan/Panther

Main Menu

What's Missing Here

Started by Slal, December 01, 2014, 02:20:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Slal

I'm not making fun of the seller.  Quite the opposite-- she may have gotten had by estate sale folks.

E-Bay #: 231396482490

Seller types, "Hard-wired (not tested by me, but the estate sale assured me it is/was working.)"

$74.90?

I hope she didn't pay anywhere *near* that price at estate sale.  Should someone tell her, "it might not ring...?"

Kenton K

I've seen a number of phones with missing ringers. Most of them are not bell systemsm though. I did just buy a soft plastic ivory which was missing the ringer. At least the ringers are easy to come by.

Kk

WEBellSystemChristian

It's not even a Western Electric phone, probably Kellogg or SC based on the markings on the chassis. Even though a ringer is easy to come by and simple to install, a phone price without one should be drastically reduced.
Christian Petterson

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" -Henry Ford

Phonesrfun

The biggest thing it's mising is value.  But, she may wind up laughing all the way to the bank.
-Bill G

TelePlay

Quote from: WEBellSystemChristian on December 01, 2014, 03:10:07 PM
It's not even a Western Electric phone, probably Kellogg or SC based on the markings on the chassis. Even though a ringer is easy to come by and simple to install, a phone price without one should be drastically reduced.

The emblem says "ITT"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231396482490

The phone and listing both have issues.

JimH

Many of these were bought by people outright and hooked up "illegally".  ITT had the "own a phone" ad campaign.  Ma bell could tell how many telephones were ringing on your line, so many people just removed the ringers. 

Jim
Jim H.

Phonesrfun

Quote from: JimH on December 01, 2014, 11:54:25 PM
Many of these were bought by people outright and hooked up "illegally".  ITT had the "own a phone" ad campaign.  Ma bell could tell how many telephones were ringing on your line, so many people just removed the ringers. 

Jim

Granted, a lot of people took the ringers out, but all they really needed to do wa unhook at least one of the ringer wires.  When I was a kid we had a couple of "illegal" phones around the house with ringers disconnected.  Also, instructions to the family to not let anyone from the phone company in the house without first unplugging the illegals.  We had them with four-prong plugs.
-Bill G

Dave F

Quote from: JimH on December 01, 2014, 11:54:25 PM

Jim
We would electrically disconnect the ringers to avoid detection, but I've never physically removed a ringer for that reason.

DF

Slal

Quote from: Phonesrfun on December 01, 2014, 03:14:32 PM
The biggest thing it's mising is value.  But, she may wind up laughing all the way to the bank.

Heh.  Good one.  Can't think of rejoinder.  Maybe change ad and charge even more.  "L@@k!!! Vintage Rare ITT Pirate Phone.  $84.99" 

Interesting about disconnecting ringers / removing them.

That's why I like it here.  Just posted wondering if seller had been mislead by estate sale pro's.

Learned something today.

thx

--Bruce

TelePlay

It's on sale (discounted 15%) but it's still a WE . . . , and still a bit high.